Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How can I pay for the In-state tuition instead of the Out-of-state tuition

wfergus18wfergus18 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
edited November 2012 in Study Abroad
Tuition can get incredibly more expensive from instate to out of state, I would like to know what is the process so that I can pay for in-state instead of out-state do I need to live in that state for x amount of time?
Post edited by wfergus18 on

Replies to: How can I pay for the In-state tuition instead of the Out-of-state tuition

  • wfergus18wfergus18 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    If you need for example, 1 year to be considered in-state and I will be 4 years in college living outside the campus, will I pay as in-state for the last three years or out-state for the 4?
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,753 Senior Member
    Depends on the state. If you know what state you want to move to, you should go to that state's flagship university's website and read the information there. One of our friends had a son who moved to Oregon, worked for over a year, and is now a resident there. He has started attending community college there and will apply to the university as a transfer.

    Different states have different requirements. Some states have agreements with other states so that rather than paying the full out-of-state tuition, neighboring state residents can pay 150% of in-state tuition. It is a scholarship program, so you have to apply and be selected for the Western Undergraduate Education Program (WUE). Other states may have similar deals.

    With many states, it is getting tougher and tougher to gain residency to go to their colleges/Us. Generally, you have to work WITHOUT attending school for at least a year and support yourself BEFORE you can apply for a U to be considered for in-state tuition.
  • wfergus18wfergus18 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    Is this what I want to know?

    Residency Requirement for Driver Licenses and ID Cards

    You must prove that either your residence or your domicile is in Texas and that you have lived here for at least 30 days in order to apply for an original Texas noncommercial driver license or ID card.

    A “residence” is the place where you normally live, live most of the time or return to after temporary absences. A “domicile” is your true, fixed and permanent home. If either your residence or domicile is in Texas, you meet this requirement for a driver license or ID. (For example, college students may reside in another state while at school, but still have a Texas domicile if their parents live here.)

    it must be way more than this
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,753 Senior Member
    No, you need to look at this for Texas residency FOR TUITION.


    Texas Residency | Be a Longhorn


    Specifically, you need to look at the websites that refer to tuition for residents and eligibility.
  • wfergus18wfergus18 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    thank you very very much for your help.
    Now I know I basically need to live there for 12 months. That is something i would be willing to do, since its about my future were talking about, 1 year is nothing compared to my whole life.
  • tjmomtjmom Registered User Posts: 461 Member
    Unless you are independent for tax purposes (your parents don't pay for you and they do not claim you as a tax deduction), then it doesn't matter how long you live there- your parents have to live there. Even if you are independent, just living there and going to school doesn't qualify. You have to have a job and pay taxes- and they specifically state that a student job does not qualify.

    Each state has their own rules with some very easy and some (my home state of Virginia being one of them) very difficult to impossible for a student to move to in state for tuition purposes. I just filled out the in state tuition application for my younger son and I had to show how many years I had lived here and give addresses for the last two houses (even though that was 17 years ago that we moved from the previous house), tell them when I first registered to vote in Virginia, what date I first got a driver's license, how many years I had been paying Virginia income tax, etc. It isn't just a form you can just do to get the lower tuition.

    If you are an international student there is a different and much more difficult set of rules to follow.
  • olmostolmost Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    FYI, the requirements that tjmom listed are very similar to the requirements at University of Colorado-Boulder.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,753 Senior Member
    You really NEED to find the requirements for whatever state you are considering. The states I'm familiar with, you CANNOT attend school, you have to work and be totally self-sufficient for at least 12 months in their state. As others have indicated, there are other requirements as well, so find out first and confirm so you don't have a nasty surprise.
This discussion has been closed.