Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Best accommodation for University of Bristol?

collettetcollettet Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited November 2012 in Study Abroad
Hello everyone!

I will be studying at the University of Bristol for Spring semester and I was wondering if anyone who has has studied at the University could give some advice as to where is the best place to stay. I know they have a bunch of dorms and houses on and off campus but I don't know which is the best for me. I'm a senior so I don't want to be around a bunch of freshmen so I would probably want to be around other upperclassmen or other students studying abroad. Or if I should even get an apartment? If anyone who is familiar with their housing could elaborate I would really appreciate it! Thanks!!!
Post edited by collettet on

Replies to: Best accommodation for University of Bristol?

  • cupcakecupcake Registered User Posts: 1,703 Senior Member
    It is very unlikely that you will find anyone on this board who can answer your question from personal experience. I recommend you try www the student room .co .uk instead where you will be able to connect with enrolled Bristol students.
  • boomtingboomting Registered User Posts: 716 Member
    I grew up within a mile or two of Bristol Uni, but my knowledge of their specific halls is limited (primarily limited to talking about the surrounding area, with which I am very familiar!), and I second cupcake's suggestion of asking on TSR.

    However, it is normal practice for students in the UK to live in halls for their first year, and the to move out into a shared house, which is rented in the private sector. It's very rare for people to return to halls for second year, and I'm not aware of any university that has accommodation specifically for final year students.

    If you wish, you will be able to find spare rooms in student shared houses - it's common to find that people drop out, fall out, want to move houses, and so they need someone to take their place so that they can move, because even if they move out then they remain liable for the rent. Be prepared to find yourself tied into a contract until June 30th though. If you choose to go down this route, look for houses in the Clifton, Redland and Cotham areas, possibly extending your search to somewhere like Hotwells or into Stoke Bishop. If it says City Centre, then be wary, as that's a term often used to pass off locations in less savoury areas like St. Pauls.
This discussion has been closed.