Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

I want to study abroad in Australia but how do I know which university to choose?

kcjchdreamerkcjchdreamer Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
edited June 2013 in Study Abroad
I'm double majoring in International Studies and Chinese. I want to go to a university that offers advanced level Chinese (I'll be going into my 3rd year of Chinese when I plan on studying abroad). I also want to go to a university that offers courses that follow an International Studies program requirements. I want to either study for a semester or a year. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? My university doesn't offer any direct study abroad programs with a university in Australia.
Post edited by kcjchdreamer on

Replies to: I want to study abroad in Australia but how do I know which university to choose?

• nhoustonrocksnhoustonrocks Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I can help you out.

What is an international studies program requirement?

Anyway pretty much all the big Australian universities offer Chinese and some form of international studies. You'll probably need to consider location, size, student life etc etc.

Have a look at Australian National University, they've got a very good Asian languages program.

Just curious, if you want to study abroad whilst learning Chinese, why wouldn't you go to China?
  • kcjchdreamerkcjchdreamer Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    Thanks. I'll check it out. Well, I only plan on studying abroad in China for summer terms. I have one summer down and another one to go but for the fall/spring I want to study somewhere different.
  • schrodingerscatschrodingerscat Registered User Posts: 232 Junior Member
    Check to see how the Australian semesters work with summer semesters in the US. Most Australian students finish exams for semester 1 in late June and resume classes in July (and finish in October/November).

All of the group of eight universities should have good Chinese programs. It might be worth considering where you want to live - ANU has a great asian studies program, but it's in Canberra, which is suited to people who like bushwalking and the outdoors rather than those who prefer cities.
This discussion has been closed.