Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How Australian Universities Edge Out Ivy League

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,316 Senior Member
"Australia offers a quality education at a lower cost and graduates can stay up to 4 years after their degree." …

http://www.barrons.com/articles/how-australian-universities-edge-out-ivy-league-1465871669

Replies to: How Australian Universities Edge Out Ivy League

• alcibiadealcibiade Registered User Posts: 586 Member
    OK, it's cheaper and easier. What about quality?
  • ref1ectionsref1ections Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    ^Okay so maybe no one in the US cares about world rankings because the only thing that matters here is US rankings, (I can see why) but most Australian universities are very reputable in the academic sphere, like ANU is comparable to Columbia according to QS and Melbourne is comparable to Brown according to THE. If you're talking about quality in terms of job placement, the thing is, in Australia, most people who are college educated would have attended college in Australia, and over there the prestige of the degree matters little compared to the fact that you have a degree at all. I come from Perth and in Perth, a good 50% of the people who are college educated in the state come from just one university, that is, the University of Western Australia. Thus, they are going to find jobs. This makes sense--even if I told you that Natl University of Singapore was ranked higher than Brown in every world ranking, does that make you actually think that NUS grads are more likely to be hired in the US than Brown grads? And if you're talented, an Australian degree is worth much in the Asia-Pacific area. I once asked my Australian cousin entering the workforce if she had ever heard of Cornell, Virginia, Columbia, or UPenn and she answered all in the negative. My parents attest to the fact that a UWA degree is pretty much all you need to find a decent job and anything foreign or overseas doesn't benefit much unless it's Oxford or Harvard.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 9,999 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    @ref1ections, I don't put much stock in QS and THE because they use criteria that don't have much to do with quality (such as internationalness). In any case, I think that the good (public) Aussie unis are comparable to respectable American publics like UIUC and UF (and are close to them in the USNews global ranking).
    In any case, yes, if someone wants to and can work in Australia, an Aussie uni makes sense.

BTW, the global rankings are heavily research-focused, and Brown isn't a heavyweight there (while Dartmouth is almost a LAC, thus way down on those lists, and why LACs like Williams and Amherst can't be found).
  • Gator88NEGator88NE Registered User Posts: 5,417 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Here’s another good stat: 21% of Australia’s higher education students are not from Australia. The U.S., unsurprisingly given its size and number of universities, gets far more overseas undergraduate students – 974,926 in 2014 compared with Australia’s 269,752. But international students are only about 5% of all U.S. undergrads, according to the Institute for International Education in the U.S.

And we complain about too many international students....

EDIT: If this Asian international student boom, ever pops, Australia higher education system will be hit HARD.
  • alcibiadealcibiade Registered User Posts: 586 Member
    @boundforberkeley , thank you for adding the qualitative level that one can only get from experience. You make aussie unis sound like the French FACs - degree factories. It is a profoundly different experience from the good unis in the US or UK, where there is campus spirit, contact with profs, and attention to the individual.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,525 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    An advantage is that getting an Australian degree means automatic work permit for 4 years. (In Canada, getting a degree means work permit and 2 years to permanent residency). These countries are competing globally and understand how they can benefit from the H1B imbroglio (whereby offshoring companies take/get/buy whole batches of visas originally intended for internationals who graduated from a US university and are individually needed at a local company and give them to hundreds of foreign workers based abroad.)
  • 4thfloor4thfloor Registered User Posts: 844 Member
    The QS and THE rankings blatantly boost UK and Commonwealth institutions. I wouldn't go by them. If you want to use rankings, the ARWU ranking ( http://www.shanghairanking.com/SubjectCS2015.html ) is more country-neutral and appears more sane, at least for STEMmy subjects, from a research focus.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 29,543 Senior Member
    My neice just finished a specialized engineering program there (ranked 11th in the world for her specialty). Much cheaper than here, and she is taking advantage of the opportunity to work there after graduation.
  • DefensorDefensor Registered User Posts: 269 Junior Member
    Numerous British Commonwealth institutions are clearly overrated by QS and THE, both of which are headquartered in London. I ignore their rankings.

ARWU (China) is considerably more reliable, and only one Australian institution makes their global top 50, the University of Melbourne which comes in at an underwhelming #44.

ARWU ranks 6 of the 8 Ivy League schools in the world top 17.

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,376 Senior Member
    Odd that in ARWU Johns Hopkins and Penn are ranked in the 76-100 range.
    ARWU ranks Johns Hopkins at #16 in the world, Penn #17 in the world.
    http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2015.html
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,376 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    @defensor Oh, sorry. the link provided in post #8 is the ranking for computer science. :\">
    CWUR (Saudi Arabia) ranks 6 of the 8 Ivy League schools in the world top 14. Their highest ranked Australian institution, the University of Sydney, comes in at #88.
    http://cwur.org/2015/
This discussion has been closed.