Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Full Degree Abroad But There's Financial Difficulties

funnybunny08funnybunny08 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
I got accepted into Rangsit University in Thailand. My main issue for not following through and making the first payment to secure my position is my financial situation. The tuition is about $3,500 for 1 academic year, I do want to get my degree from this college but when calculating the tuition, room and board, food, plane tickets etc. everything came out to about $8,000 a year. I have already used up my loans from when I was trying to complete my degree in the U.S. I also have applied to their "full ride" scholarship and is still waiting for a reply for approval. I just want to know if I don't get approved, is there a way for international student to make money in Thailand besides obtaining loans? And are there scholarships for international students?

Replies to: Full Degree Abroad But There's Financial Difficulties

  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,520 Senior Member
    Why Thailand?
  • funnybunny08funnybunny08 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    To learn a new language and culture so that I would understand other people's perspectives and point of view in life.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,520 Senior Member
    But there are cheaper options (colleges in Germany or the Netherlands, for instance).
    Why not go there with a work visa? Surely there are international schools looking for English tutors.
    Why not go through study abroad?
    How advanced was your American degree? What GPA did you get?
    What do you plan to do with that degree (considering it won't open any network for professional access in the US)?
  • funnybunny08funnybunny08 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    For Germany and the Netherlands, you must be some what fluent in their language to go to school there, from what I've read as one of the requirements, and living there is pretty expensive despite the free education. Also, I have not gotten an Undergraduate Degree yet, hence the reason why I wanted to go to Rangsit University in Thailand to obtain one. I felt that it would be a great experience and good opportunity for me to take. I've always been interested in the Asian culture since I was very young, so I felt that going to school there, it would elicit some familiarity from my childhood days. After graduating I was hoping to work in Thailand, I like the atmosphere there and the weather is pretty consistent.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,520 Senior Member
    edited June 15
    Germany has language classes to prepare internationals for German language degree programs but also English language degree programs. The Netherlands have lots of programs in English.
    Do you know whether the university is recognized in Thailand and whether foreigners are allowed to work there? Do they offer Thai classes for their international students? What kind of security do they have? Do they help you find housing or do they have residences for internationals?
    Have you lived in a developing country before?
  • funnybunny08funnybunny08 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    There are language courses at Rangsit University. And it is a recognized, accredited by tge Ministry of Education, private University. I would have to find housing on my own, though they do have links on their website to aid international students to find safe housing. And from what I've read, foreigners are allowed to work there on a work visa, but I'm not sure if they have work study like they do here in the US. And if they do, I'm unsure if I have to have a separate work visa or will my student visa suffice. And it will be my first time living in a foreign country.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,520 Senior Member
    edited June 18
    Is it recognized in the US?
    It's a HUGE transition to move to another country without a support network, not knowing the culture nor the language, especially if one has never lived abroad. Everything I just said is compounded when you're moving to a developing country. For three months you may not understand a single thing - you may not know where you are, if it's safe, what each place you see is, when people address you you'll have no idea what they're saying, you won't know where to buy groceries, how to buy groceries and know if they're fresh or expired, how to open a bank account, how much cash to carry that's safe and won't make you a target for pickpockets, how to keep that money safe from pickpockets, how to go from a place to another (which is safest - buses may or may not be, tuktuks may be OK, walking may or may not be practical depending on if your neighborhood has paved streets or not and whether there's an underground sewage system...)
    How will you find a landlord if you don't speak the language? Can you understand any information from the links the university provides?
    How can you find work if you don't speak the language?
Sign In or Register to comment.