Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Study Abroad For Science/Engineering

amo.nettamo.nett Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited September 22 in Study Abroad
hey guys! im a highschool sophomore from ohio, and im super interested in going on a foreign exchange program, but im worried it wont correspond with my classes/interests. in highschool ive taken precalc, AP calc ab/bc, honors physics, honors chem, ap computer science, and ap chem,,,, and next year i would take my math and science classes at a local university. however im r e a l l y into studying abroad and definitely want to do that junior year. im just worried that i wont be able to take the courses i want to take if i study abroad. does anyone have any experience with this or any advice? what countries do you think would be best for science/engineering study? how would this affect my shot @ college? thanks a ton guys!

-abby

Replies to: Study Abroad For Science/Engineering

• katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,250 Senior Member
    The first place to check these things are with your own college/university. Since you're still in high school, that should tell you something: it's too early to worry about this.

Apply to colleges that have good study abroad programs (shouldn't be hard, many do) and, if you can, talk to the departments in fields you might major in, to get their advice. Once you pick your university, immediately discuss your schedule/study abroad with your adviser. Studying abroad requires advance planning, and can be tricky for engineering students on a very specific "track" of courses. But it certainly can be done, especially if you're willing to take some summer courses of have a semester when you take additional classes. Many STEM students don't end up studying STEM when they're abroad, but instead focus on language/culture/history, thus fulfilling many of their GE requirements.