Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Spanish Internship in Central America?

ZoezazZoezaz Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
Hello,

I'm looking to do an internship for the fall in Central America. I've found a great program, Maximo Nivel, that has internship programs in three locations.
- Antigua, Guatemala
- Cusco, Peru
- Quito, Ecuador

The internship is completely in Spanish and so my main goal is to immerse myself as much as I can in the language and culture of the city I visit and study in.

Does anyone have recommendations for which city would be the best? I'm mainly interested in Antigua but hear there can be more English speakers than Spanish speakers there?

Thanks!

Replies to: Spanish Internship in Central America?

• ChezCurieChezCurie Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    I have not been to any of the cities you're interested in, but I would suggest that you check the State Department's website for their travel advisories for each of these countries. I have a friend who worked for an NGO in Guatemala (not sure which city) and she often did not feel safe there.
  • PadreDe3PadreDe3 Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    edited June 11
    Antigua is an easy 60-90 minute drive from the Guatemala City's Intl Airport, and Guatemala is not far from the US, less than 3 hours flight from Houston, Dallas or Miami. Antigua is a beautiful colonial town. You will be able to walk everywhere. Many touritsts vsit Antigua all year round. You will find people from all over the world in Antigua. Many of them are college aged.

Cusco , Peru is also a beautiful colonial city but it is much, much larger than Antigua. It will not be so easy to reach if you come from the USA. You will have to likely have to take probably two flights to get there (so the air travel is more expensive). First to Lima which is a very long flight and then a separate domestic flight from Lima to Cusco. Something to keep in mind if you choose Cusco is the altitude; it is very high so most folk experience huge headaches. Like Antigua, Cusco is always packed with Europeans, most on a stopover as they make their way to Machu Pichu.

Quito is the capital city of Ecuador. Like Cusco is also a city that sits at a high altitude so headache galore. Of the three cities that you listed is the one that I haven't yet visited. But somehow I'm familiar with it since I am planning to visit it soon (have already watched lots of shows on it). As a capital city of Ecuador you will find big city problems: lots of people, traffic, and crime. Quito sports a very beautiful in the colonial center too. Ecuador uses the US dollar everywhere.

Of the three cities that you list, I would without a doubt pick Antigua. It's one of the most beautiful Spanish colonial town in the Americas. Is not small but not large either so you can cover most of the city by foot. You will have great opportunity to learn or improve Spanish there. For 40 years people have gone to Antigua to have one on one Spanish lessons. In Antigua you see people all over town taking lessons under a tree, in the back of a cafe or in one of the many language schools around in town. Is not too hot in Antigua which I like. I just came back from Granada, Nicaragua and the temperature there was unbearable.

You have to be always be aware of your surrounding when in Latin America, so be safe.

Happy Travels!