Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Summer Science Research Programs

asianeseasianese Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
edited October 2010 in Summer Programs
Hey CC! Currently, I'm a sophomore who wishes to complete a research program this upcoming summer. I hope to do a project which I will be able to enter into ISEF/Intel/ Siemens competitions. If any informed posters know any programs that a rising junior would be able to apply for, please reply. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by asianese on

Replies to: Summer Science Research Programs

• itsme123itsme123 Registered User Posts: 1,108 Senior Member
    not many. most are for rising seniors. look locally.
  • asianeseasianese Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
    could you list a few of the organized summer programs? i dont really have many research opportunities locally.
  • wvcollegecrazywvcollegecrazy Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    COSMOS, HSHSP, SSP, and a few others I can't think of right now. They are usually for juniors though...
  • iceui2iceui2 Registered User Posts: 887 Member
    I already posted this in the other thread, but I'll post it again.

Here is my opinion on the best HS summer programs for research:

1. RSI
    2. Simons/NIH
    3. Clark Scholars/SIMR
    4. Garcia/HSHSP/SSTP/Rockefeller/Drexel/Jackson
    5. Everything else

RSI, Simons, and NIH are extremely competitive, with acceptance rates of under 5%.
    Clark Scholars accepted 12 out of 180 last year for an admit rate of under 7%. SIMR selected 42/800+, so around 5% (CA Bay Area only).

BTW, most of those I mentioned are for rising seniors. There are not many programs out there for underclassmen, so I recommend looking at other programs and opportunities in preparation to those that I listed.
This discussion has been closed.