Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does going to an abroad summer camp look good on college apps?

ramenforliferamenforlife Registered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
edited February 2012 in Summer Programs
Yeah..that question pretty much sums it up. Say you go to a third world country, or maybe just a language immersion camp in a foreign country, will that look good? Or is it a waste of time and should I be looking at more educational summer programs? (i'm currently a freshmen in high school, i want to get into ivy league, if that helps or anything)
Post edited by ramenforlife on

Replies to: Does going to an abroad summer camp look good on college apps?

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 34,398 Senior Member
    Just going won't make much difference. It needs to weave into a narrative/story you are telling with your application. My advice is to do something you are really interested in/want to do. If you can do more/additional activities that are meaningful in that area each summer building toward college, that is good. Colleges are looking for demonstrated passion... it is a lot easier to show that when it is genuine, and a lot more fun for you to pick something you are interested in and pursue it.

So... if you have a really strong interest in the foreign language you would study, then what you are saying might be a good choice. If your 3rd world volunteer experience leads you to do something more that is related in a future summer, that is good.

I would suggest that you read the book, "How to Be A High School Superstar", by Cal Newport. It puts things like summer programs in perspective, and has a great narrative about how to position yourself well for college admissions while still pursuing the things you are most interested in.
This discussion has been closed.