Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

best summer programs for 7th grader

hashtaghashtag Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited April 2012 in Summer Programs
My 7th grade son is interested in attending a summer session at a boarding school to see if he likes the experience, as next year he'll need to decide between day or boarding schools. The dates of the Exeter Access program don't work for us, so I will look into programs at Andover, Hotchkiss and Taft. Are there any others we should consider?

The other option is that he could attend a CTY program (the academic explorer's level, not the intensive.) Just wondering how these two types of programs would differ and which might be more interesting. I would really appreciate any feedback on this.
Post edited by hashtag on

Replies to: best summer programs for 7th grader

• rickthompsonrickthompson Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    I did CTY and didn't think it was the best experience. I had a lot of fun, but in hindsight, I don't think it was worth the money and I didn't really learn all that much. I don't really know that much about boarding schools, but I would suggest you get on that ASAP since most summer program deadlines are coming up soon or passed already.
  • yhbultimate11yhbultimate11 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    I'd consider looking into the Explo program. As a 7th grader I think your son would be on the Wellesley College campus, and although that isn't a boarding school, the program would still give the feeling of a boarding school. I went to Explo as a rising 9th and 10th grader and I loved it. It was definitely the best summer program I had been to and I'd be happy to answer any questions about it!
  • swattiechickswattiechick - Posts: 219 Junior Member
    I've not heard great things about the Academic Explorations level to be honest. I am a veteran CTYer but all my friends who attended Explorations said it was rather unchallenging.
  • ellenpellenp Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    DUKE TIP but it may be to late.
This discussion has been closed.