Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Pre- College enrichment: Summer Discovery / Summer Fuel reviews anyone?

Offf2college2014Offf2college2014 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
Please help, most of the forums are dedicated to Engineering / Math / Science programs. However that's not my case. I am an international student (HS Junior) looking for a pre-college experience. I want to know how it feels like to be away from home for at least one month and see how I can fit in, in a College setting. Also I'd like to explore about the areas that interest me, in order to help me figure out what I'd like to Major in the future.

I have talked with my college counselor about choosing a program that offers college credit or not. Since I am international, the process is quite complicated because I would need a student visa (I currently only have a tourist visa), this requires that I should be a full time student which means I should take at least 8 college credits. Unfortunately that comes at a higher price, so I have to stick to what my parents can afford.

I already know that I enjoy Creative Writing but would like to explore the fields of Marketing / Advertising, which is why I am interested in either:

- Summer Discovery 5 week program @ University of Michigan, Ann Arbor that offers seminars in Advertising & Mass Communications as well as Creative Writing

- Summer Fuel 4 week program @ UMass, Amherst that offers seminars in Marketing & Creative Writing

I'v never been to either place, or know anyone who has experience with this programs. Last year & did the 2 week Summer Challenge @ BU, and had a wonderful time. Wonderful teachers, interesting classes, met great people from around the world and had tons of fun, so I want to make the right decision this time around.

Any information regarding this Programs, Colleges, Towns etc.. will be very much appreciated! Thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.