Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Research-related Summer Program essays...does the essay have to express interest in science?

fairyfantasyfairyfantasy Registered User Posts: 384 Member
Is it bad that I answered the SIMR prompt: "At Stanford, we are committed to increasing the diversity (broadly defined) of students in the sciences and engineering. Please describe how your interests and background (in terms of culture, class, race, gender, ethnicity, work, hardships that you’ve faced or life experiences) would contribute to that diversity." with an essay about my flexibility and strong ability to adapt due to migrating a lot?

Replies to: Research-related Summer Program essays...does the essay have to express interest in science?

• BrownParentBrownParent Registered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    Yes they are specifically mentioning 'hardships'. But is that the only question? You definitely want to show a curious nature. Why do you say 'migrating' instead of moving?
  • fairyfantasyfairyfantasy Registered User Posts: 384 Member
    @BrownParent I had to write 2 essays. For the 1st essay I wrote about my curious nature and for this 2nd essay I just used an essay I wrote before for another program. I think the 2nd prompt is just asking how my "interests and background would contribute to diversity". I used migrating as a subtle metaphor to compare my life to that of a constantly migrating bird. I guess there's nothing I can do about this now since I already turned it in. I'll try to better adapt to the prompt in the future. Thanks for your response.
  • BrownParentBrownParent Registered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    ok. fyi, it didn't make me think of birds. It made me think 'immigrant' or 'migrant worker'
This discussion has been closed.