right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

COSMOS 2015 Thread

tonystarkofwinterfelltonystarkofwinterfell 2302 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
edited November 2014 in Summer Programs
For COSMOS applicants and stuff (:

I'm a sophomore, and I'm probably going to apply to UC Davis or UC Irvine (hopefully my parents will let me go to Irvine, since they have better clusters in the stuff I'm interested in).
edited November 2014
718 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: COSMOS 2015 Thread

• tonystarkofwinterfelltonystarkofwinterfell 2302 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ...nobody? No COSMOS hopefuls?
    · Reply · Share
  • tonystarkofwinterfelltonystarkofwinterfell 2302 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Helloooo...
    · Reply · Share
  • Kelvin82Kelvin82 360 replies13 threadsRegistered User Member
    Thanks for starting this thread. Future applicant, and so excited!
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2014
    I am too! I can't wait until the applications come out... Which campus are you thinking of applying to?

At this point, pretty much all the campuses seem really fun to me; although Davis's course selection isn't the most ideal.

My Stats:
    Sophomore; very competitive Bay Area high school
    UW GPA (probable; by the end of first semester): 3.84
    Honors Classes: H. English 9, H. English 10, H. Algebra II/Trig, H. Precalculus, H. Biology, H. Chemistry
    Other math/science classes: Intro to Engineering Design
    PSAT: 216 (CR: 70, M: 75, W: 71; I don't know if I'll have a chance to put that down though?)
    SAT II: Bio E (770)

ECs:
    Math/Science Competitions Teacher: 10 (this is my only math/science one since eighth grade, really, since it's really hard to get into the science teams at my school; so it might be the only EC I put down)
    MUN: 9, 10
    Literary Magazine at middle school: 8: staff member; 9: assistant editor; 10: editor
    Colorguard/Winterguard: 10
    NHD: 8, 10
    edited December 2014
    · Reply · Share
    I want to apply to UC Irvine, since I am in love with their clusters. You have really wonderful stats
    · Reply · Share
    @Kelvin82 Which clusters? Irvine is my first choice as well; I want to apply to Astronomy and Astrophysics as well as Big Bang and the Subatomic World.
    · Reply · Share
    Biomedical Sciences and Biology of Oceans and Estuaries.
    · Reply · Share
    That's pretty cool. I was also thinking about going to UCSD for their climate science clusters, before I realized that the one I wanted to do most required swimming certification that I probably wouldn't past (the farthest I've ever swam is 200 yards, but it requires a minimum distance of 400; there goes that campus).
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks! Your clusters sound fun; do you like astronomy? I really like marine biology, so I thought that the Oceans and Estuaries course would be interesting. :smiley:
    · Reply · Share
    Yeah, I really like astronomy and astrophysics and quantum physics. Basically, I like learning about how the universe works. I'm actually in the process of convincing my parents to let me take an astronomy class at the CC second semester (they think it'll be too much work, but I disagree; last time I took a CC class, I ended up with a 97 because it was absurdly easy).
    · Reply · Share
  • photogeek8photogeek8 523 replies34 threadsRegistered User Member
    Hey, I'm a sophomore as well! I'll be applying to either UC Irvine or UCSD. None of the clusters in any of the campuses really match my interests (neuroscience), but my parents are forcing me to apply to COSMOS. Oh well.
    · Reply · Share
    @photogeek8 Have fun with that xD If I were applying to clusters not in the physics area, it would be to UCSD's environmental ones... They have some really cool ones on biofuels and climate change.
    · Reply · Share
  • dsi411dsi411 2232 replies91 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I went to UCSD COSMOS last year! I was in cluster 6, biodiesel from renewable sources.
    · Reply · Share
    Dsi411, did you receive substantial financial aid from COSMOS?
    · Reply · Share
  • dsi411dsi411 2232 replies91 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Kelvin82‌ Yes, I actually just sent a copy of my reduced lunch letter and I got completely free tuition! It was pretty great!
    · Reply · Share
    Wow! That's wonderful! I was sketchy on the amount of financial aid COSMOS gave, so thank you for responding.
    · Reply · Share
    Haha, I probably won't get any financial aid anyways (my family's income is ~100k, which isn't particularly high--in fact, it's on the low side for where I live, since the median income is 160k--but it's too high to get financial aid for anything).

Oh well.
    · Reply · Share
  • Cornbread1999Cornbread1999 387 replies0 threadsRegistered User Member
    @dsi411 How was the biodiesel cluster? I am thinking about applying to that and the red blood cell cluster
    · Reply · Share
  • Cornbread1999Cornbread1999 387 replies0 threadsRegistered User Member
    Applying to UCSD COSMOS
    Cluster 7 first choice, cluster 6 second choice

My stats:
    Year: sophomore/class of 2017
    male, Asian
    School: same as topaz1116, competitive bay area high school, probably not the same one, though
    GPA unweighted: 4.00 or 3.92 depending on what I get in English this semester
    Classes--Geometry/Algebra2H, Biology 1AC, Algebra2/TrigH, Chemistry H (school offers advanced, not honors english classes), other STEM classes: Functional Programming (prereq to AP Compsci)
    Standardized test scores: SAT Biology M--800
    no PSAT, SAT or ACT (school prohibited me from taking PSAT this year QQ)

Extracurricular activities:
    Violin 7 yrs (4-10), youth symphony for 3 years in first violin (7, 8, 9, 10)
    Swim team 4 years (nothing much else to write here--I was in JV last year) (7, 8, 9, 10)
    school research, science and innovation club (9, 10)
    Chinese school (not sure if this counts as extracurricular) 7 years

Oh well, the chances of getting in also depend on how well the short answer and statement of interest are written
    · Reply · Share
    @Cornbread1999 Do you play in SJYS, by any chance? My friend's in that one. I know people in CYS and SFYS as well, although not as well as the girl in SJYS.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity