right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Learning algebra 2, precalc, and trig over the summer

Alt903Alt903 28 replies11 threads Junior Member
I am currently a freshmen in geometry. In the track I am in, I will be able to take AP calc AB junior year and AP calc BC senior year. However, I would really like to finish calculus 3 before I get into college. How difficult are these classes? Is it doable in less than 3 months?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Learning algebra 2, precalc, and trig over the summer

• bodanglesbodangles 8628 replies557 threads Senior Member
    However, I would really like to finish calculus 3 before I get into college.

Why?

This seems ill-advised.
    · Reply · Share
  • Alt903Alt903 28 replies11 threads Junior Member
    I I really enjoy math and I do not feel challenged l.
    · Reply · Share
  • katsudonikonkatsudonikon 8 replies3 threads New Member
    You're basically doing three years of math in three months. That seems a little bit...improbable? But a bit possible.

If you're a strong math student then go ahead I guess. I think the best idea is to look for an algebra ii/trig course over the summer and scrap precalc, which is (by my experience) glorified barebones calculus. I don't think I learned anything in that class. Also some kids decide to just jump straight to BC and skip AB. So I guess, finishing calc iii by senior year is possible.

A word of warning: Calculus is a lot harder than the normal high school math courses. It makes geometry look like a picnic. I got wrecked in that class and I was floating by in precalc, geometry, algebra, etc. So talk to a counselor and think through your math path. (My math schedule went something like alg ii/trig(freshman) precalc(soph) BC(junior) Stat/Calc III(senior)
    · Reply · Share
  • MA2012MA2012 1236 replies1 threads Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    Talk to your school about the possibility of doing just BC calc. Strong math students may not need AB and BC. DS2 skipped pre-calc, so another possibility is to do some pre-calc over the summer and see if you can test into Calculus. Each school is different about what they will accept and how they do placement.
    edited February 2017
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity