right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

HSHSP or Simons Independent

sciencelover7783sciencelover7783 10 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
To give some context, I am from Michigan and just finished working in a lab at Michigan State University for about a year and half now.

I was accepted into the High Schools Honors Science Program (HSHSP) at Michigan State University.

I was also placed on the waitlist of the Simons Summer Research Program at Stony Brook University. Unfortunately, I was not pulled off the waitlist; however, a professor there has offered me an independent research opportunity and the research is quite fascinating and promising and in a different field than my previous lab. The program directors said that I can still partake in all of the Simons program activities and I have access to Simons housing and food options.

I am having trouble deciding between joining a program at a university that I am already familiar with (and I would probably conduct research in the field I did my previous research in because of how I structured my application) or pursuing the independent option in a new place and conducting research in a field that is more interesting to me.

Could I still mention on my college applications that I was accepted to HSHSP if I choose to do the independent option at Simons?

How seriously do colleges take program prestige? I know that both programs are great and I would have a great time at either, but I also want to make sure I make the best decision for enhancing my college applications.

Please let me know if I need to elaborate on anything. Thank you for any input you may have!
0 replies
· Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity