Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
thegrandestproofthegrandestproof Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited May 20 in Summer Programs
Like last year, we're starting ahead of tha curve...what's your thoughts? Stats, maybe? I'll start with my stats.

Louisiana, from a conservative Catholic school
Asian Female
ACT: 35, PSAT:1440(10th), SAT IIs: Math 2 (800), GPA: 4.61, APs so far: AP Art History (anticipating a 5)
Junior year APs:
-Calc AB (will be taking BC exam, my school isn't one to encourage taking classes ahead)
-APUSH
-Physics C:Mech
-Lang
-self study Physics C: E+M

ECs:
-zero research experience sadly, although currently trying to find a mentor before the summer starts
-also trying to secure an internship at a local uni robotics lab
-beginner's experience in Java, Python, HTML, and CSS (boohoo CSS sucks)
-mechanical experience from robotics
-IT experience from Help Desk

-Mu Alpha Theta VP
-Treasurer of Girls Who Code
-Treasurer of Youth and Government
-Past Art Historian of school JCL
-will be resurrecting our long-dead Amnesty International Club junior year! im so excited for this :))
-Intern (about to start working ) at my school's computer help desk

MUN x2 yrs
Youth Leg x2 yrs
FIRST Robotics x2 yrs
JCL x2 yrs
MAO x2 yrs
Beta x1 yr

-Winner of Mu Alpha Theta state convention, of nearly every regional tournament since freshman year, and two year state winner in a game
-6th at 2018 Junior Classical League state convention, placing overall in creative arts and academics
-15th in Gemini,at MAO nationals last year, hoping to place in top 10 indivs this year x
-150+ volunteer hours at various organizations, namely Girls on the Run and my local council on aging center

Hobbies:
-artsy! I love painting with watercolor especially
-a big fan of politics and government, so i've been a repeat offender at Youth Leg and MUN, having my bill on light pollution pass through both houses and being a lobbyist the year before
-math. math. MATH. my classes don't show it, because my school's really restrictive with classes in general (up to 2 APs soph year and I ditched one for doubling my maths to take AB next year), but i honestly enjoy reading math textbooks...it's pretty nerdy ik :/
-i meme Latin references on the regular
-obsession with electronic music. i'm pretty much a curator at this point. EDC is raging on this weekend and i'm freaking out over the lineup. i really want to DJ a school party or something! or learn how to DJ for the matter...but DJing is a pretty expensive hobby... :(

Uh yeah, this is my overly long, too detailed profile of me. I truly want want want to get into RSI! I have always wanted to do research, but I could never find a way to at my local university (I'm trying rn lol). I've always been fascinated by discovering something new and I've always wanted to be involved in that kind of effort. I looooooooooooooove astronomy and want to pursue aerospace engineering with a specialization in space technologies in my life. Sorry for being loquacious!

TELL ME ABOUT YOU! LET'S TALK ABOUT OUR THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS IN ANTICIPATION FOR RSI!

Replies to: RSI 2019

• TheMadScientistXTheMadScientistX Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    edited June 11
    New York, Public High School
    Southeast Asian Male
    PSAT: 1270 (10th) didn't really study for these since they wouldn't count for NMS
    SAT 2 Bio: 650 (9th) I don't know what happened here
    GPA: 98.00
    APs: World, Euro (both in 10th)
    Stats, Psych, Physics, Lang, U.S History (all in 11th)

Clubs: -Mu Alpha Theta (Charter member 9th grade, VP 9th grade, Pres. 10th grade)
    -Science Olympiad (VP elected for 11th grade)
    -NHS (elected secretary for 11th grade)
    -Model UN
    -Math League
    -Gonna try to start up National Science Honor Society next year

ECs:- Independent Cancer Research at a local University under a mentor
    -2nd Place at Regional SeaPerch Competition
    -International SeaPerch 2018 Competition
    -State semifinalists for Samsung's Solve For Tomorrow Challenge
    -Won a medal at Regional Science Olympiad competition
    -Presented my previous research at a symposium where THE Dr. James Watson looked at my research and I even got a picture with him :)
    -Honorable Mention at a Regional Science Congress

Volunteer: 200+ hours at local hospital
    30+ hours at Library

Comments: Gonna try to get a letter of rec from my mentor that I'm doing research under, as well as raise those test scores. RSI would be a great addition that would make my science spike even stronger.

• okapilionokapilion Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Colorado (fringe rural public school, near both Aspen (rich skiers) and Grand Junction (homeless rednecks).
    Straight White Guy
    PSAT/NMSQT: 1480 (10th)
    SAT: 1400 (9th)
    ACT: 33 w/ a 36 in reading (9th)
    APs: Human Geo (5, 9th), World History (Independent Study, thinking a 4, 10th), Chemistry (probably a 4, 10th), and Computer Science A (Independent Study, 10th, )
    11th Grade: AP Seminar, AP Lang/Comp, AP Biology, Dual Enrollment Algebra/Trig (basically honors pre-calc), APUSH
    GPA: 4.21 (W), 4.00 (UW)

Clubs:
    Band (Section Leader, All-State 1st Alternate as a sophomore)
    Orchestra (Co-Principal, Drive 3 Hours a Week to make it happen)
    Student Council
    NHS
    Captain's Council
    Cross Country (Varsity)
    Track (Floater)
    100+ Hours at Hospital
    40+ Hours a year teaching STEM to kids at Camp Invention in the summer

Research:
    Limited Due to Location. Participate in local water quality data collection. Involves physical collection and basic lab tests (e.g. alkalinity, hardness, etc.). Presented basic findings at Youth Water Summit, which I am on a council to organize it this year.

Comments:
    Really hoping to use RSI or something similar to get real research experience before high school at a somewhat low cost. Will take ACT and PSAT/NMSQT again as well as maybe the Chem SAT 2 with Math Level 1.
  • nikibanananikibanana Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    What do you guys recommend for people learning any coding languages for the first time? And what languages do you guys prefer?
  • thegrandestproofthegrandestproof Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Personally, I used Treehouse to learn Python, Codeacademy for HTML/CSS, and had a "class" last year for Java (mainly us learning it ourselves sometimes with some supervisor who was a programmer before). Treehouse is a wonderful platform to learn coding languages. Check with your local library if they offer free memberships :) and my favorite language is Python!
    Hey! So I'm starting my sophomore year this year, and I'm hearing that having coding background is essential for RSI, so what exactly do you guys recommend starting out with?? And what specific languages do you guys recommend having a strong foundation in?? I'm also taking AP CompSci A the summer before junior year.
    I have the research part down, and I won awards at both the national level and international level (ISEF) during freshman year, so hopefully that will help along with other ECs I have, but I really got to get on that coding grind :')
    Wow I'm dumb, I just realized I asked that a day ago and someone already replied. Thanks @thegrandestproof
  • LivingHappilyLivingHappily Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey everyone, I had a question. I came to the USA at the beginning of my 7th grade (Indian male). I was thinking of applying to RSI. However, due to the huge wait for Indians for permanent residency, currently, I'm neither a US Citizen nor a Permanent Resident. However, I'm enrolled full-time is a US High School. My question is - if I applied to RSI, would I have to apply as an international applicant, a US applicant, or can I not apply at all? Thanks!
  • JKMSNJJKMSNJ Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    Are the 2018 results posted somewhere? just could not find it.
  • MA2012MA2012 Registered User Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    @LivingHappily go to the RSI application site and you will find instructions on how to apply. As an international student you have to contact the liaison from India and find out the procedures for applicants from your country.
  • phanakinphanakin Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    edited July 11
    Whoo, I came here late but I'm going to tag along with my stats anyway!

State: Utah (which pretty much doesn't exist)
    School Type: Large Public High School
    Demographics: Vietnamese Female

ACT: 36 (36/34/36/36) with 12 (4/4/4) on writing
    SAT: N/A (taking in August)
    PSAT/NMSQT: 1440 as a sophomore (went in cold, hoping for improvements in 11th)
    SAT II: N/A
    APs: Human Geography (5), Calculus BC (5), APUSH (5)
    Junior Year APs: Chemistry, Psychology, Biology, Lit, Stats; self-studying Environmental Science and Lang
    Junior Year IBs: European History SL and Spanish SL (though I might swap it out for Math SL)
    GPA: 4.0 UW

Clubs/Extracurriculars:
    • Speech & Debate
    - will be a captain for the 2018-19 school year
    - 2018 state runner-up
    - 2x qualifier for NCFLs (Declamation for 2017, Policy for 2018)
    - NSDA octafinalist (2018, first speech competitor from my state to break in ~18 years)
    - mentor kids down at the junior high (~50 hours for 2017-18 school year)
    • HOSA
    - vice president for the 2018-19 school year
    - 5th place at state conference
    - played a huge part in bringing HOSA to our school; it was our first year competing last year
    • Science Fair Club 2018-19
    • Science Olympiad 2018-19 (will compete in Bio Oly)
    • volunteered at state university hospital for 50+ hours
    • shadowed a sarcoma surgeon
    • will hopefully land a research internship at an orthopedic hospital when the summer's over
    • attending TASS (Cornell seminar) right now

Comments: I have no research experience or SAT IIs, which are huge weaknesses. I'm looking to do research in either biology or psychology, but I can't be sure I'll be able to land an internship until I get back from Cornell and can reach out to people. Utah sadly doesn't have many opportunities to do so :(
  • ruhhhlatinruhhhlatin Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    @LivingHappily did you get an answer? (same boat here)
  • ruhhhlatinruhhhlatin Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    did you get an answer?