right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Carnegie Mellon Summer Academy for Math and Science (SAMS) and AP/EA 2019

Replies to: Carnegie Mellon Summer Academy for Math and Science (SAMS) and AP/EA 2019

• MignonetteMignonette 2 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    @akdoxmi Congratulations!

The fans are definitely necessary (the first few days were 95 degrees and it actually felt like burning)
    I can also help answer questions alongside @thejmarie :)
    · Reply · Share
  • akdoxmiakdoxmi 23 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Mignonette thanks so much!
    · Reply · Share
  • frgivenfrgiven 66 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @akdoxmi i was wondering where you sent in the essays? Also how did you apply - I saw online that they will start reviewing applications in early January???
    · Reply · Share
    @frgiven you submit them through your application portal. The deadline is 2/15/19, but the sooner you finish the better because it's rolling. Since it's rolling, there is no starting point for review- they address each application as they come.
    · Reply · Share
    @akdoxmi did you apply to SAMS or AP/EA?
    · Reply · Share
    @akdoxmi how did you upload your essays? it says upload it to the "student portal upload tool" but I am not sure where that is :/
    · Reply · Share
  • BigGreenTractorBigGreenTractor 16 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @akdoxmi hi I am noticing that some people like you are receiving acceptances from SAMS early but I read somewhere on the website that rolling decisions begins January 3, 2019? Do you mind giving me some clarification with this #-o
    · Reply · Share
  • strive345strive345 21 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Yeah I saw the same thing on the website
    · Reply · Share
  • strive345strive345 21 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Could Someone Chance me for CMU SAMS?

Race: African American
    Income: Lowish (>40k)
    GPA: School doesn't do GPA's but I have an A or higher in everything besides AP Chem (B+)
    Currently Taking AP Chem and AP World
    Test Scores: PSAT 1260

EC’s:
    Vice President of Foriegn Language Club
    Vice President of the Class of 2021
    Model UN Member - One award so far
    Player on JV Basketball
    Member of several other non-notable clubs
    · Reply · Share
  • jjhh516jjhh516 16 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I re-read the SAMS 2018 thread and saw that we have to upload our transcripts but I cant find where to do it. :(
    Can anyone help? Also I am not taking any APs at the moment because I've only been in the state for 3 months... I have done IB in my previous school but counsellor wanted me to complete the grade 9 courses so here i am stuck with geometry as a 10th grader. I know my chances are really slim, but I still want to give it a try.
    · Reply · Share
  • JKMSNJJKMSNJ 108 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Anyone here is applying for AI4ALL? My S is thinking about applying but he hates to write 4 essays.
    · Reply · Share
  • darkermuppetdarkermuppet 19 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I was accepted on 12/17
    · Reply · Share
    I forgot to mention- if anyone who gets accepted wants me to pm them my socials so we can get aquainted before meeting over the summer, I'm okay with that! Just shoot me a pm and I'll get back to you :)>-
    · Reply · Share
  • TheMadScientistXTheMadScientistX 74 replies25 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited January 5
    @akdoxmi Have you already told the SAMS people that you are committed to participating? Do you know when you have to notify them by?
    edited January 5
    · Reply · Share
    @TheMadScientistX yes I have. I can't see the commitment page since I already submitted it (I can only see that they received it), but I believe there's a suggested date to respond by in there. Does that help?
    · Reply · Share
  • MuTh2024MuTh2024 29 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Hey everyone I was accepted into the musical theatre program on 12/5! I will be a senior next year (class of 2020!!!) I know it’s not SAMS or AP/EA I just wanted to say hi to everyone and I can’t wait for this summer!!!!!

Also if anyone wants to get in tough with me who is a drama student or is not a drama student can just pm me (kind of don’t know how to pm someone lol)and we can chat!

Race: African American
    Income: About 60-75k
    GPA: 3.2 Unweighted, 3.6 weighted out of 4
    Currently Taking AP English (Lang) and Environmental Science
    Done AP’s Biology
    Test Scores: PSAT pefer not to answer (didn’t do so good... yikes)

EC’s:
    STEM Club (Ten80 Marketing: Team Lead)
    Drama Club
    Marching Band
    STEM Leadership Camp
    Columbus Children’s Theatre

Awards:
    Stem Club Officer; Community Service Coordinator (Sophomore year) ; Leadership Council (Junior Year)
    Link Crew Leader (Junior Year)

· Reply · Share
    @gban2020 I can't access it- once you're accepted the page changes nearly completely :(
    · Reply · Share
  • OsamaCareOsamaCare 6 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I'm in the middle of doing my essays do they care if you write in an informal tone/style or do you have to write in a formal one used in like research papers.
    · Reply · Share
    @gban2020 Yep, you gotta submit the basic information stuff first (including teacher recs), then you're taking to a page where you can upload essays/transcripts/scores.
    · Reply · Share