right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

LaunchX Summer 2020

claireoxnerclaireoxner 4 replies1 threads New Member
Hi guys! My name is Claire, and I'm an alum of the LaunchX summer program. I've been involved with LaunchX for a few years now, and if you guys have any questions about it I'd be happy to answer them.
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: LaunchX Summer 2020

• tempest000tempest000 8 replies0 threads New Member
    Hi Claire!

I’ve been waiting for a post like this to pop up lol. I’m planning to apply early this year as I was rejected during regular admissions last year. I’ve just started the admissions progress but I was wondering if you have any general tips you could share that you feel like would be helpful helpful for admissions? Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • stemoctoberstemoctober 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Why did the program cut its aid for internationals? I've been preparing for the video and other application stuff since the first day of my summer vacation and I felt so good about it till last week when I knew about this.
    Are there any exceptions, or they're strict about it?
    · Reply · Share
  • SteadySeas112SteadySeas112 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Hey Claire! I'm thinking about applying for RD to give myself some more time for the application. What extracurricular did you have that you think helped you get in? Also, any information about the application or admission process would be great! Thank you (:
    · Reply · Share
  • claireoxnerclaireoxner 4 replies1 threads New Member
    Hey @tempest000! As far as general advice goes, the biggest thing to keep in mind is that the admissions team is looking for an entrepreneurial mindset above anything else. If you take a look at their website (www.launchx.com), you can see a little bit more in detail about what they’re looking for. Some specific things I’ve noticed that they want are students who are passionate, determined, and problem solvers. These are the essential characteristics of an entrepreneur, and the admissions committee is more concerned with finding the right personality fit for their program than maybe finding the most accomplished students. This means that they’re going to be looking a lot at your applicant video and extracurriculars, with less of a focus on your grades. Whatever your passion is, make sure that this shows in your application and make sure you show why you think you’d be a great entrepreneurial fit for the summer program!
    · Reply · Share
    edited November 19
    @SteadySeas112

I’ve never been involved directly with the admissions process, but I know that LaunchX is looking specifically at getting students who are a good match for the company. For a more detailed description of what they’re looking for, check out the website and the blog (I know they have some good resources there) or take a look at the response I wrote for @tempest000.

For extracurriculars, the program is looking for anything that shows your entrepreneurial spirit and your seriousness about your work. My major extracurricular was that I had worked in my community with local nonprofits to create a STEM-based after-school academy and implement it into an 8-week summer camp working with at-risk kids. This consisted of creating and implementing hundreds of pages of curriculum, which showed my dedication, and it showed how I was willing to put in effort for what I cared about.
    edited November 19
    · Reply · Share
  • tempest000tempest000 8 replies0 threads New Member
    @claireoxner Thank you so much for your help!
    · Reply · Share
    @tempest000 No problem! Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!
    · Reply · Share
  • loollicuploollicup 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Another Launch alum here! Just thought I'd mention it because it seems relevant -- LaunchX is having a live instagram q&a tomorrow (@launchxed) so if you have any questions that'd be a great place to ask :)
    · Reply · Share
    @stemoctober I'm not sure exactly what the company's policy is on this, but you're welcome to contact them at [email protected] and they should be able to answer your questions.
    · Reply · Share
  • SrzxyzSrzxyz 19 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Following thread
    · Reply · Share
  • 9JAGALoYekeBrown9JAGALoYekeBrown 5 replies1 threads New Member
    Is it less advantageous to apply regular decision? I really needed finanicial aid, but I found about the "one week in advance" policy (to show need) too late.
    · Reply · Share