Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

Replies to: Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

• onthewestfenceonthewestfence Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    check out the UCLA summer institute. it's reasonably priced and included room and board.
  • dragonTDdragonTD Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Think
    SIMR
    RABS
    RISE
    are the top three as far as selectivity/recognition on ur list
  • nuvemseisnuvemseis Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    If you are in arts and writing, CSSSA (http://www.csssa.ca.gov/) tey have a fantastic summer program
  • tigerbeattigerbeat Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Do any pre-college summer programs exist that focus on search engine optimization (SEO), front end development, or digital marketing or computer science programs exist for rising sophomores? Thanks!
  • DesiBabaDesiBaba Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Don't join CMU AP/EA summer program. It's waste of 7 to 8 K of your money. Seems like CMU themselves don't value the grades of their AP/EA program. My Son who attended the summer program and had Strong A in 2 courses (1 computer science), didn't get admission to their CSC despite other strong credentials (Perfect SAT in 1st Seating, 4.0 Unweighted GPA, Robotics school team for 3 years, various Math competition and participation AIME etc)
  • tigerbeattigerbeat Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Thanks for the input. Good to know.. Where did your son end up deciding to go? Were there any other programs you might recommend in the CS field? Thanks!!
  • DesiBabaDesiBaba Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    He is probably going to Berkeley MET program (Founding class of EECS + Business dual degree). Based on my read on admitted student profiles, Stanford summer program looks good. I would also suggest to look for internship or research opportunity.
  • aryan096aryan096 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Yale Young Global Scholars vs MIT Launch. What do you think, guys?
  • eskafueskafu Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Hi, can anyone give me some information on the Stanford Clinical Summer Internship program? My daugther just got accepted (she was rejected from the SIMR program) and she does not know if it is worth going as it is a paid summer program
  • jimalijimali Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Rising junior daughter was just accepted at University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute Summer Academy (UPCI). 8 week program, curriculum looks wonderful. Has anyone had any experience with this program?
  • vegucated26vegucated26 Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
    I was just accepted as well! @jimali
  • MariellangverdeMariellangverde Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    One for Political Science, International Relations, Leadership. Public Speaking?
  • nikkim8nikkim8 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    ACLU Summer Advocacy Institute!
  • Tps237Tps237 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    MIT Launch!
  • ihateleonczolgoszihateleonczolgosz Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm sophomore right now, and I'm realizing now that I've kind of missed the boat as far as summer programs. Does anyone know of any cheaper programs that are still accepting applications, preferably in and around Illinois? Law, writing, and the performing arts are some of the fields I'm interested in, but I know I'm late, so anything you know would be useful at this point. Thanks!