Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Spanish Immersion Program

ladybug3ladybug3 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
edited December 2007 in Summer Programs
Hi -- I am looking into Spanish immersion programs for my daughter who will be fourteen. Last summer she attended the Concordia Language Village program in Bemidji for two weeks and enjoyed it. She may return there for this summer but is also interested in possible programs in Mexico, Spain, Latin America/other Spanish-speaking countries. Can any recommend any great programs? Thanks!
Post edited by ladybug3 on

Replies to: Spanish Immersion Program

• rhinorhino Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    For language immersion, try Middlebury. The Language Schools have a new summer camp for middle and high school at www.mmla.middlebury.edu. Arabic, chinese, French and Spanish.

Full disclosure: I work with Middlebury.
  • icy9ff8icy9ff8 - Posts: 1,605 Senior Member
    Middlebury will not accept your daughter until after her first year of college is complete for their famous programs. I did not know of their high school program which must be very new as I was in constant contact with Middlebury last spring regarding language programs for recent high school grads and was told that they were ineligible. Concordia Language Villages in Minnesota are an option, as well as several study abroad options. Middlebury, however, has outstanding language immersion programs that fill up quickly. Middlebury's campus is gorgeous!
  • rhinorhino Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    The Middlebury-Monterey Language Academy (MMLA) is a new extension of Middlebury's famous Language Schools targeted specifically for middle and high school students.

Summer 2008 programs are in Vermont and California and offer Arabic, Chinese, French and Spanish and run from late June for four weeks.

www.mmla.middlebury.edu
  • ladybug3ladybug3 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Thank you for the information about Middlebury. I will look into their program. Does anyone have any other thoughts on Spanish immersion summer programs for a student completing eighth grade with the equivalent of one year high school Spanish? Thanks!
  • Jonathan1Jonathan1 Registered User Posts: 5,744 Senior Member
    Andover Summer Session had a course in Spanish or students with at least one year. They'll probably have it next year as well. I took the French class for beginners and am in French II at a prep school. It's an amazing program and a ton of fun. I highly recommend it! If you any questions, just ask. :D
    Thanks for the information! I am looking into both programs. Also, does anyone know of Spanish language study abroad programs for a 14 year old student who would be entering ninth grade? Thanks!
  • M's MomM's Mom Registered User Posts: 4,562 Senior Member
    I just posted a recommendation on a thread for Nicaragua Summer Exchange 2007 Program "Spanish through Leadership" We highly recommend it but I'm not sure if they take 14 year olds. Our daughter was 15.
  • tickytock14tickytock14 Registered User Posts: 617 Member
    I fully endorse this program: Learn Spanish in Mexico - San Miguel de Allende - Academia Hispano Americana

I went last year as a 17 year-old. They would take a younger student, but she would have to be pretty mature/independent.
    Thanks-- I'll look into those two programs!
This discussion has been closed.