Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Law, Politics, Medicine...What about Education?

mflevitymflevity Registered User Posts: 1,201 Senior Member
edited November 2007 in Summer Programs
I hear about "leadership" forums and programs revolving around law, government, medicine, economics, etc. all the time.

I, however, am interested in teaching as a career (high school English, to be exact). I've looked around a bit, but can't seem to find any programs that would give me some introductory experience and help me figure out if I'd like to go into education. Do any exist?

I'm probably going back to writing camp for a few weeks this summer, and I already do tutoring during the school year. Tutoring hasn't really helped me figure out if I'd enjoy teaching, as it mostly involves watching kids do homework while being available for specific questions. Any suggestions on what I could do over the summer to gain knowledge/experience in education as a high school student?

I'm a junior at the moment, by the way.
Post edited by mflevity on

Replies to: Law, Politics, Medicine...What about Education?

• teenage_clicheteenage_cliche Registered User Posts: 3,522 Senior Member
    This is just a suggestion and I don't know how realistic it is, but if there are schools near you that have summer programs, whether for gifted students or for students who were struggling the previous year, it may be possible for you to sit in on the classes, help the teachers grade, etc. Like I said, I don't know if this is possible near you, but it's worth researching.
  • ceebee63ceebee63 Registered User Posts: 599 Member
    Summerbridge (also known as Breakthrough Collaborative).
    Welcome to the Breakthrough Collaborative

Applications are competitive (especially for high school students, since most of the teachers are in college), so you'll need a strong academic record, excellent essays, excellent recommendations, and a lot of experience working with kids.
This discussion has been closed.