Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

NJ Governor School 2008

Replies to: NJ Governor School 2008

• tunit2190tunit2190 Registered User Posts: 555 Member
    i'd say a lil bit of both would do...

Slshi: i think stats (gpa, psats, research projects/science awards) are much more important in sciences one than they are in like international studies, even tho last yr, there were 2 kids at internationals one with 2400s lol (its funny too cuz half the kids in the international studies ones wanted to go premed and/or business...)
  • classof09classof09 Registered User Posts: 944 Member
    I just finished writing my application (it's due tomorrow for us). Now for the editing part :)
  • miler417miler417 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    for the engineering school, is it better to just say straightforwardly 'why i want to be an engineer' . i mean, is that basically wat they want to know, esp. in the autobiography, wehre it asks for ur current and future ambitions. it doesnt really want ur life story does it.
  • classof09classof09 Registered User Posts: 944 Member
    DONE! (I think.)

I'm applying for science, but for the autobiographical statement, I wrote about my past interests, what spurred my current interest, my current interest, and future plans. I felt that accurately answered everything they were looking for. Funny thing is that in future plans, one of my possible college majors was engineering. Heh.
  • Lady MacLady Mac Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Has everyone heard? Our great State of New Jersey and their dumbing done program for our budding students has decided to considerably CUT the Governor's School Program. The usual 4 week program has been reduced to 21 days AND the wonderful School for the Arts, in accordance with our nation's notorious noncommittment to the arts, has reduced the Arts program from 4 week to 9 days!!!! Why even bother?
  • hawkphoenixhawkphoenix Registered User Posts: 542 Member
    Yea the cut is very unfortunate, but at least they're still running the program!! I applied to sciences and was wondering how much impact test scores have. Will they consider ACT scores if I sent them in? I did well on the ACT and hope that it will help me considerably, as I didn't do so great on the PSAT.
  • Mike1234Mike1234 Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    I'm only a freshman this year, but what do I have to do now to get nominated by my school for the Engineering and Technology school? It is to my understanding that my school will only be able to nominate 1 member of the Junior class to this program because there are about 250 kids, and I already know other kid who I'll most have to contend with for the nomination, although there are definitely quite a few other people (though they could choose other governor's schools, I don't know). Luckily, he has told me that he may graduate early (can Juniors who have already graduated high school go to the governor's schools?).
  • xphagexphage Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    does the psat matter much to the gov/school people?

@mike1234: you can't apply if you're a freshman. nj gov school is for juniors.
  • Mike1234Mike1234 Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    I know, but I want to get in when I am a junior.
  • NarcissaNarcissa - Posts: 3,935 Senior Member
    how does gov school compare w/ other summer programs? (RSI...JK!)
  • MPerfectionistMPerfectionist Registered User Posts: 705 Member
    I applied to the Governor's School of Public Issues. Did anyone else on CC?

Also, when do we find out if we got in? I didn't even receive anything about the county cuts...
  • akitaabbyakitaabby Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    I also applied to Public Issues. The complete lack of organization and notification is really bothersome. At this point, I'm 99.9% going to do something else even if I were to get in.
  • slshislshi Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    http://www.state.nj.us/govschool/GS_letter_2008_alumni.pdf

"This year, we are still far short of our goal, and hence we have had to cut the programs’
    budgets drastically with a difficult trade-off: accept fewer scholars, or shorten the number
    of weeks. Programs like Sciences need a minimum length for projects, so they will run
    for three weeks but with far fewer students. Others, like Arts, chose to take the full 100
    students, but for just one week. Both sad outcomes clearly diminish the scholar
    experience."

"We
    hope you will consider donating either to your program or to the Governor’s Schools in
    general. Every gift of $1000 enables another student to attend."
  • MPerfectionistMPerfectionist Registered User Posts: 705 Member
    ^^^I read that too on the web site.

akitaabby: My friend who applied to the school of the sciences received an email from Drew University explaining that the school received all of her information. I haven't received anything yet and am getting a bit anxious. Just wondering: have you heard from the school?
  • PKswmr76PKswmr76 Registered User Posts: 1,669 Senior Member
    oh crap so admissions to sciences will be even more brutal than in previous years? damn..
This discussion has been closed.