Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

MMLA Registration

CoCo - Posts: 645 Member
edited April 2008 in Summer Programs
What exactly do you need to send it when you register?

I see a few forms, and then an online registration form (which doesn't seem to have a printable hardcopy version in PDF files like the others).

I want to apply for Financial Aid, so I'm thinking that I just print out the registration form and FA form, submit those to wherever, and then once accepted and if I decide to attend, I fill out the rest of the forms, right?
Post edited by Co on

Replies to: MMLA Registration

• CoCo - Posts: 645 Member
    scratch that...

I still need some clarification :)
  • rhinorhino Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    go to the MMLA website,Middlebury Monterey Language Academy

click on Register, fill in the form, pay the registration fee and deposit and check that you want to apply for fin aid. If your fin aid award is not enough to let you attend, the deposit is returned. Or call them at 802 296 2459.

Spaces are filling up so apply now for summer language programs.
    When is the deadline to decide (if accepted) whether to go or not pending the FA?
    And I can't seem to submit the registration form without checking registration fee...

I will submit the deposit fee (by checking it) since I can get a refund, but I'm trying to use a code so I don't have to pay the registration fee.
  • rhinorhino Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    All applicants need to pay the registration fee to pay for processing the fin aid application. The registration fee is non-refundable; the deposit is if the aid is not sufficient.
  • hsmomstefhsmomstef Registered User Posts: 3,579 Senior Member
    My son applied, he needed FA and he had the code to waive the registration fee -- this is what we did (per the MMLA office instructions)

Print out the registration from the web and fill it out. Include a note with the code for waiving the registration fee. Do not include the deposit -- include a note stating that you are applying for FA and that is why you did not include the deposit.

Print out the FA forms and send in all the required info and documents (whatever they ask for -- I don't remember). The FA application gets sent to a different address.

Then you wait -- you also need a teacher rec, if I remember correctly, but I think they contact you for that info (we included a teacher rec in the application package and a resume and transcript).

My son got an email about 10 days after submitting the application and the FA about two weeks later. He will be attending the Spanish camp in California, very nice FA package and he is thrilled!
    Awesome, I'm going for the Spanish camp in California as well :)

Thanks for the help, it's going to make my parents so happy that they don't have to include a check (and you saved me the registration fee as well) :D
    Btw, is there a specific form for the teacher recommendation or can that just be typed up and signed on anything?

Middlebury Monterey Language Academy - Downloads

This is the forms page I've found, plus the registration form.

Scratch that, I found this quote:
    After an application is submitted, each applicant is asked to provide MMLA with contact information for a teacher who knows the applicant well. MMLA gets in touch directly with the teacher for a recommendation.

But is sending in a rec fine as well?
  • Mike1234Mike1234 Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    Is anyone doing the MMLA program through CTY at Hampshire?
    What is the difference, beside location?
  • Mike1234Mike1234 Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    The difference is age. The CTY-run one only goes from 6th to 9th grades, and I'm not sure what the minimum age for the regular ones is. Other than that, there really is no difference, I think everything else is run the same, except that you don't have to do anything to get accepted to the CTY one if you're already in CTY.
  • degoutantdegoutant Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    just to clarify, what is the age group for MMLA? i'd be going into the beginner age group for the language that i'm applying in, so i figure that there would be a bit more younger people than usual.
  • Jonathan1Jonathan1 Registered User Posts: 5,744 Senior Member
    It's for students entering grades 7 - 12.
    I saw that, but i wanted to know what the average age group was; i didnt know if it would be a majority of upperclassmen, middle schoolers, lowerclassmen, etc
    someone at the program got back in contact with me, and its 76% high schoolers, if anyone was interested
This discussion has been closed.