Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

University program or internship?

idk111idk111 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited February 2009 in Summer Programs
I'm currently a junior in high school and considering applying to NU's Medill School of Journalism next school year. I'm really trying to augment my journalism experience, but I've run into a sort of predicament.

Should I attend Indiana University's High School Summer Institute or apply for an internship in western Ohio at a moderate-sized newspaper (either Bowling Green or Findlay)? The internship would be about an hour and a half commute, but I would be willing to make the drive if I am accepted. Which one would look better to NU combined with scholastic journalism awards, attendance at multiple NSPA conventions, associate editor and editor-in-chief positions on my newspaper, and enrollment in a dual credit college journalism class next year?
Post edited by idk111 on

Replies to: University program or internship?

• hardworkerhardworker Registered User Posts: 1,322 Senior Member
    hey! i attend HSJI @ Indiana last summer...the program is only one week long...at least the one I attended and it was plenty of info for me! is it possible that u could somehow do both? That would be even more impressive...!
  • toadstooltoadstool Registered User Posts: 1,145 Senior Member
    Given the competitive nature of internships, apply for both.

Always have a plan A, plan B, and plan C.

career oriented work always trumps just one more school program.
This discussion has been closed.