Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I'm going to kill myself with boredom...

lantzklantzk Registered User Posts: 353 Member
edited June 2009 in Summer Programs
So, all of my summer plans ended up failing me. I was never taken off of the waitlist for TASP, my school didn't have enough funding to send me to NFL Nationals, and my parents couldn't afford summer classes at the local University.

In any case, over the last few days I've simply begun to realize how boring the monotony of summer is going to become. The finite amount of things that I can do has simply become more and more prevalent to me. I mean, I can go to movies with friends, hang out, date, run doubles, read, write, listen to music while zoning out in front of the computer, watch movies, or take a shower. But, all of that just barely fills up a few days. I can read for a day straight but that'll get old with my parents very quickly. Watching movies has just become more of a pain then it's worth, even watching classics has become unbearable, and crappy movies can only be watched so many times. Running can, at most, take up about three hours a day on hard days (which I'll have every other day). I just, I don't know, it just seems so god damned boring. Oh, and then I can work, I mean there's nothing that I enjoy more than spending 8 hours straight at Ben and Jerry's scooping ice cream.

Does anyone have some suggestions? I'm at my wits end here as to what I can do with my time that will not drive me insane with boredom. Maybe I'm just being a jerk and if I am please let me know. After all billions of people manage to get through their summers without going insane so why can't I?

It's not even like I have some sort of innate need to be entertained, it's just that school gave me something to do, and now there is a massive lack of something to do. And unsurprisingly, that void is as infinitely boring as it is vacant.

Normally I would have spent a portion of these summer hours playing video games, but in the past year I gave them up as I realized how decidedly boring their limited scale of repetition was. So, what can I do now? I have interests, but I'm simply at a loss as to how I should implement them. I'm a humanities man, but literature can only sustain me for so long before I lose it (February break last year I read through nine books in 7 days...and then I crashed).

So really, if anyone has any idea on how I could spend my time effectively that would be great.
Post edited by lantzk on

Replies to: I'm going to kill myself with boredom...

• yawnyawn . Posts: 2,141 Senior Member
    Read the news.

Learn a foreign language.

Learn a musical instrument.

Write music.

Write a novel.

Write lyrics.

Learn Parkour/freerunning.

Learn origami.

There's no excuse for being bored!
  • Duke1204Duke1204 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Getting a job would fill up your days and you would be making money at the same time. And then you could plan activities to do around your work schedule. Depending on how many days you work you might not have that much time to fill. On your days off you could go to the beach, have a fire with your friends, just enjoy the summer!!
  • lantzklantzk Registered User Posts: 353 Member
    Read the news - Every morning I go through the Times, Journal, and then the Onion.

Learn a foreign language - hadn't thought of that, but learning a third might kill me

Learn a musical interest - alright, I'll try that

Write music - Once I get through my music theory text sure

Write a novel - Sure

Write lyrics - No

Learn Parkour/freerunning - tempting

Learn oragami - I know how to make paper frogs

Let me expound, having things to do does not equate itself with a lack of boredom.

Also, I'm pretty sure that I've narrowed the source of this boredom down to Nietzche, yeah...I'm pretty sure that this is all his fault.
    Getting a job would fill up your days and you would be making money at the same time. And then you could plan activities to do around your work schedule. Depending on how many days you work you might not have that much time to fill. On your days off you could go to the beach, have a fire with your friends, just enjoy the summer!!

Yep, I already have a job. And how exactly does one enjoy the summer? I'm all for natural beauty and long walks...but I hate the vacancy of it. Whenever I go on long walks I end up fundamentally questioning things, which is bad. And I don't know about my friends, I feel as if they're slowly sucking my intelligence and morality away through a long siphon.

Oh, and I hate my job. Did you know that working in the food service industry is hell? Especially when you're serving ice cream and it's one hundred degrees outside? My work at Ben and Jerry's is reason enough for me to desire a college education.
  • BestCandidateBestCandidate Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Well, you ARE being a "lil bit" of a jerk. We have given you alot of choices to keep yourself occupied.

Honestly, look for a new job if you hate yours. I work at a CONCESSION stand for Pete's Sake! I make minimum wage (but of course, I'm a rise Sophmore), and I love it! It gives me something to do, and even though it can be boring at times, at least I'm making money. Use the money to d something next summer or buy yourself something you want. Or since it looks like you have financial problems save the money for college. (And, you asked how to spend your time EFFECTIVELY. By means of that, it shouldn't matter if you like it? Because it will be time well spent ;) )

I started French this year (well, last year... whenever I WAS A FRESHMAN!!! AHHHH lol) so I was only in French 1. I was in Spanish 2 as well. Im studying over the summer so I can take a test the first day of school to pass me out of Frech 2 and be on both Spanish and French 3... Since today has been a slow day bcause of no morning classes and no plans with friends until later tonigh... I've been working on that periodically.

If all else fails, go to an emo forum! :)

PS: I barely missed NFL NATS!!! Dumb judges, I swear! Ha. What are you in? I'm in LD :P Freshman too... well rising Sophmore now.
  • yawnyawn . Posts: 2,141 Senior Member
    Post on CC.
    Well, you ARE being a "lil bit" of a jerk. We have given you alot of choices to keep yourself occupied.

Honestly, look for a new job if you hate yours. I work at a CONCESSION stand for Pete's Sake! I make minimum wage (but of course, I'm a rise Sophmore), and I love it! It gives me something to do, and even though it can be boring at times, at least I'm making money. Use the money to d something next summer or buy yourself something you want. Or since it looks like you have financial problems save the money for college. (And, you asked how to spend your time EFFECTIVELY. By means of that, it shouldn't matter if you like it? Because it will be time well spent )

I started French this year (well, last year... whenever I WAS A FRESHMAN!!! AHHHH lol) so I was only in French 1. I was in Spanish 2 as well. Im studying over the summer so I can take a test the first day of school to pass me out of Frech 2 and be on both Spanish and French 3... Since today has been a slow day bcause of no morning classes and no plans with friends until later tonigh... I've been working on that periodically.

If all else fails, go to an emo forum!

PS: I barely missed NFL NATS!!! Dumb judges, I swear! Ha. What are you in? I'm in LD :P Freshman too... well rising Sophmore now.

Fair enough, but I did state that I was bored out of my mind (I probably should have qualified "effectively"). Yeah, I'm looking for a job right now, but 1,500 other high school students are out and about looking for the same thing in a city of about 40,000. So, I am trying, but I haven't been having much success.

As for nationals... I've qualified twice in International Extemp, and this time round I qualified in Senate. Next year hopefully I'll go for Original Oratory and end Senior year with a bang. In any case good luck with the NFL, I hope that you make it next year.
  • nil desperandumnil desperandum Registered User Posts: 1,948 Senior Member
    Hey, you could always........., I'm sorry, I'm in a similiar situation so I don't know what to do either. What about this- find all the events happening in your area and go to EVERY ONE Of them. Be it a corn dog festival or a goth nights out. Its sure to be interesting.
    NFL- I understand your pain. Our school can't do NFL either b/c we don't have the funding or the time. Nfl 's one week competition is during finals. Are you in the Catholic Forensics League? I am in Original Oratory- love it and plan to continue. I'm sorry i can't help much but i'm sorta bored myself- ( hence the late posts) but luckiliy I am a rising junior and can always do PSAT prep, write ORiginal Oratory speeches and visit colleges and Stuff.
    You could always visit colleges.
    Yea, well the seemingly endless boredom is passing. I can only be incredibly inactive and unproductive for so long before I start to go insane. So, I'm running two times a day and writing essays for colleges and scholarships galore! Beyond that I've started to write a one-act for my school next year and I'm also writing a short story that I'm hoping I can get published in some small literary magazine somewhere. Oh and I'm going to a concert with Ween...which should be hilarious.

So, in short, boredom for me is passing like a slowly moving cloud, I'm finding things to do.

And I'm not in the Catholic Forensics League, I would be but Vermont barely participates in the NFL, I don't think we even have anyone in the CFL instate.
This discussion has been closed.