Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why are students happier at Bing than an Stony Brook?

XehanortXehanort Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
edited April 2008 in SUNY at Binghamton
Please don't put too much bias in your opinion, but why do people say students are generally extrememly unhappy at Stony Brook, but are very happy at Binghamton.

Why was Stony Brook ranked the number one college for the unhappiest students, while Binghamton is so great.
Post edited by Xehanort on

Replies to: Why are students happier at Bing than an Stony Brook?

• iamhereiamhere Registered User Posts: 517 Member
    reasons i have heard expressed by students:

1) stony brook - bigger, more impersonal
    2) stony brook - suitcase school - a lot of people empty out on weekends.
    3) stony brook - a lot of people who go there to be near home and not commit to on campus life.
    4) binghamton - lots to do on campus and off.
    but i've also known people happy at stony brook.

the biggest key to whether someone is happy at a school is whether it is a school they feel they fit at and want to be at. you really should try to visit and stay over if you can -- its the only thing that will give you a real sense of where YOU would be happier.
  • PerfectedxchaosPerfectedxchaos Registered User Posts: 872 Member
    I agree completely with iamhere.
    And for Long Islanders, it is basically the "safety" school for most. So a lot of people that may end up there, originally had their hearts set on another school, but either did not get in/could not afford it. Consequently, they make themselves feel that IF THEY GO TO STONY BROOK, IT WILL SUCK.

I know I used to think that. Until I realized, even if I DO attend in the Fall, it's not THAT bad.
  • wonderboy4290wonderboy4290 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    I don't believe it is a bad school at all. My friend goes to Stony Brook, and either he is a good actor or he has no problems with the school.
This discussion has been closed.