Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

University at Buffalo (SUNY) General College Admission

TruAlphaTruAlpha Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
Even though UB is considered as a selective school, how easy is it to get into just the general college? I have a 540 in CR and 550 on Math on the SAT with a 3.75 GPA. Plus I am going to do Early Decision and want to major in Aerospace Engineering, however, I'm sure my SAT score is not going to cut it for the Engineering Department. But I am also content in just getting into the college in general and then try to get into the program either in spring of freshman year or just in fall of sophomore year. Replies are appreciated!

Replies to: University at Buffalo (SUNY) General College Admission

• aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 8,378 Senior Member
    It's a very good and underrated school. If you are a NY resident, you should be able to get in with that GPA. You have to apply to engineering as a freshman because getting into the department is tough after your freshman year. My daughter slid in because she was/is female. (From Bio to EE).

See if you can up your math on the SAT.
  • BrownParentBrownParent Registered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    Overall Admission Rate 57% of 23,207 applicants were admitted

Average GPA 3.2

SAT Math 605 average
    550-660 range of middle 50%

SAT Critical Reading 556 average
    500-600 range of middle 50%

So you are near the bottom 25 pct for math. But your gpa is looking good and CR okay.

• TruAlphaTruAlpha Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    ~Bump~
  • JustListeningJustListening Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    The mid-50% for engineering for 2014 freshman was 1225-1330, GPA 94. I believe in the past few years, the cutoff has been 1180 or 1200. I would say you're right, you won't get into engineering, unless you improve your scores. I agree with the other posters that you should be accepted generally. Transferring in later is a matter of how well you do first and second semesters: https://www.eng.buffalo.edu/undergrad/admissions/current.
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad Registered User Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    You may want to consider those community colleges that has transfer agreement with UB. See http://registrar.buffalo.edu/tc/dual-admissions.php

However, you may lose any scholarships for the freshman.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,915 Senior Member
    You need to retake the SAT, focusing on the math section, and improve your scores.
    You should start Engineering right away because it's sequential. Of course, you could look at the gen eds and common classes from Engineering (calculus, English, social science, etc.) and take them all freshman year.
This discussion has been closed.