Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

SUNY is the choice! Hurray, the deposit is mailed.

NeonzeusNeonzeus Registered User Posts: 1,234 Senior Member
edited March 2007 in SUNY at Buffalo
I just wanted to thank everyone who posted with info on SUNY. My kid finally made the choice to go to SUNY Buffalo, instead of choosing Penn State, Pitt, OSU and several other schools. A lot went into this decision, which was finalized during a college visit this week. Some of the factors -- 1. SUNY is a truly great value and has many really good science programs, 2. dorms looked larger and in better shape than so many of the other schools we visited. 3. the set-up witih numerous small libraries and having so many of the buildings connected with walkways and bridges makes studying easy 4. the student population is diverse and the numbers of students we saw in the libraries was encouraging; 5. While my kid sat in a class, I interviewed random kids in the student union. I heard nothing but positives. 6. Everyone we spoke to, from the guy working in the parking lot to the lady in the bookstore to the Admissions office and a few professors, were very helpful and friendly.

The only negatives in my view are that the campus seems SO quiet (so many kids are using the internal walkways that few are outside), the campus needs some trees to look more welcoming, there should be more stores and restaurants around the North Campus, the school sweats and t-shirts aren't NIKE or REEBOCK brands (which don't shrink and are better quality than the clothing brands selected by SUNY), and the school newspaper that I picked up wasn't very good compared to the ones I read at other schools. I guess a science-oriented school doesn't have as many eager English or Journalism majors to work on a school paper. Picky, picky, picky. My kid is really happy with the decision. Thanks again!
Post edited by Neonzeus on

Replies to: SUNY is the choice! Hurray, the deposit is mailed.

• northeastmomnortheastmom Registered User Posts: 12,379 Senior Member
    Congratulations! About the school paper, they had over 350students graduating last year with degrees in journalism/communications and another 140-150 graduating with degrees in English vs. around 200 kids graduating with bio/biomedical degrees.
  • NeonzeusNeonzeus Registered User Posts: 1,234 Senior Member
    Interesting info on the journalism-communications majors. I didn't realize there were so many. I still suspect that the school doesn't have a large number of writers if you lump the journalism-communications majors together with the English majors, and then compare that group with all of the science majors in engineering, math, biosciences, physics, etc. I was guessing why SUNY's publications were disappointing, but there could be other reasons. The staff should compare their paper with the publications of other comparably-sized schools. (This is a little thing compared with everything else that my kid likes about SUNY). I always look at the publications since they can tell you a lot about a school -- I have degrees in English, Ed and law, so writing interests me even though I can't claim to be a good writer myself. I wasn't disappointed with the writing, by the way, only the content (or lack of content).

By the way, our SUNY tour guide was fantastic! He really provided great info. I cringed during our college visit to another finalist last week when a student speaker (a Senior English major) repeatedly used poor grammar. That wasn't the reason my kid rejected the school, but it didn't make a good impression on me! Picky, picky, picky.
  • ajr62807ajr62807 Registered User Posts: 426 Member
    I cant wait to tour it so I can finally make a decision
  • IntegraIntegra Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Same with me. I chose Buffalo over other colleges, such as Rutgers. I was impressed with Buffalo for the reasons stated before.

As for the people using the walkways, that could be because it might have been cold out, and windy.

I also think the it has a wide range of majors, from Science to English. And from what I heard, it has a really strong business program, which is what I am going for.
  • easydoesitmomeasydoesitmom Registered User Posts: 354 Member
    They had a zero degree day last week when we visited ! No wonder the walkways are popular!'
    S got into UB Honors and we were so impressed with it , compared to B'ton SUNY. I have to say that Buffalo is west enough for Midwestern freindliness on campus ! Two things impressed me - near North , there were students in the 24 hours Wegman's store which has a shuttle (?) from campus ????And it was crowded .

On the South Campus , we ate at a place called Amy's that was a great vegetarian diner and a great bookstore next to it with all the poets & English majors in there .

Buffalo was once known for the literature people it churned out . We became interested when we heard that the Dalia Lama visited it last year.We were given one tip by students to put in our housing deposit early as they run out of dorm rooms and they overenrolled last year and had to put students in hotels !
This discussion has been closed.