Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Replies to: Rd- 2013

• gibbonsgibbons Registered User Posts: 157 Junior Member
    I hope we hear at the end of this week! :)
  • MomofredsMomofreds Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Regarding the parent letter: I, too, received a very nice letter from the adcom thanking me for the parent input. The writer also commented how they were enjoying getting to know my son through his application. It was a very nice touch and for future applicants, I would recommend that parents complete the input form. It's just one more piece in the puzzle and helps describe the applicant beyond numbers and ECs.
  • JEDad2013JEDad2013 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    I did send in the parent statement letter, and we did receive a letter back thanking us for the letter and also stating they were impressed with our son's application and were looking forward to submitting it to the full committee for review.
  • GCmom415GCmom415 Registered User Posts: 720 Member
    Please post when you get your letters!!!
    JEDad,

I'm assuming from the information you provided about your son and from your username that you live in Jordan-Elbridge? I'm a West Genesee grad and was in the marching band during the eighties. I can't remember if you said this before, but is Geneseo your son's first choice and did he apply to any private schools?
  • JEDad2013JEDad2013 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    Yes, we are from Jordan-Elbridge. Both of my twin boys have done Marching Band the last 5 years and were happy to win the NYS Championship in their class this past fall. We've really enjoyed watching West Genny through the years as well. I think Geneseo is probably my son's top choice. He also applied and was accepted to U of R and also Clarkson University. It's really between Geneseo and U of R. He will be entering as a Physics major, and hopes to also pursue some sort of music minor. It will partially depend on the full financial packages offered as well. We should know pretty soon!
    Thanks for your response. We live really close to U of R and visited there. My son had an instant negative reaction to U of R and honestly it wasn't the best fit for him. My daughter, OTOH (who is currently a junior) is seriously considering chemical engineering for a major so U of R might work for her. It is expensive, though and we have five kids to get through college. My son has been accepted at Hillsdale, St. Bonaventure and John Carroll University. He's waiting to hear from Union, Williams, Providence and Geneseo. He is strictly a LA kid with an eye on law school (though given the current glut of unemployed law school grads, I'm not sure how that will work out). They forgot to tell parents how stressful this whole college process can be!
  • DisneydadDisneydad Registered User Posts: 348 Member
    I wouldn't worry. He won't need a job for 7 more years. Lots can change between now and then.
    @Momofreds its very stressful. I am glad to say this is my last child going to college. I am so happy I never have to do this again. Getting the taxes done so early..filling out the CSS profile for some schools can be tough. I still am waiting for the IRS to get my taxes to go back in the Fasfa to use the data retrieval tool. My daughter was admitted into providence and I have a family by me who's 3 kids went there and loved it. We should know about Geneseo in a few days. I looked at last years thread and seems they found out by March 1 or 2. I have a bad feeling. My daughters stats are a bit lacking and I have a feeling she may be waitlisted or offered Spring.
    I do have to say I was there 3 years ago for admitted students day with my son and you should not miss that if you are accepted. They do a great job with that! Good luck!
    DisneyDad - I hope you're right. I did read in several places that law school applications are really starting to drop off (especially at second-tier institutions) and some schools may have to close. The whold higher education bubble has to pop at some point. I feel like my kids are entering this world at the worst possible time. Maybe by the time my youngest (who is 6) gets there, we'll have more on-line, less expensive options.

GCMom415 - thanks for your insight. This is our first time and you're right about all the forms! The CSS profile is obnoxious. I swear, I thought one of the questions was going to be: "Please lift all of your couch cushions and retrieve the change found there - enter this amount." For us it will really come down to money. I think my son has picked pretty comparable schools with Williams being his "reach." If by some miracle he does get accepted there, they do have really good aid. Right now Hillsdale is his first choice and with the scholarship they've offered and because they are about $20K cheaper than most private schools (they don't accept federal funding) we can afford it. I think my daughter, who is a junior will likely get some good merit aid. One, she's a girl interested in STEM, two, her SATs are quite good (1540/1600, 2240/2400) and her GPA is stellar. She's worked really hard so it will be interesting to see what happens with her. My next oldest is in 8th grade right now, so we'll have a bit of a reprieve. Thank goodness!
  • mosamamosama Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    My husband is an alum and we're waiting for RD for our son--this is his first choice. When I called admissions a few weeks ago, I was told letters would be MAILED OUT on March 1 (I asked her twice, to be clear). But it looks like in previous years they were mailed prior, and timed to begin arriving on the 1st. Does anyone know if this is true this year or not? There's an update from admissions on the Geneseo 2017 Facebook page from this morning, saying "Acceptance letters coming soon!" -- which leads me to wonder if they were mailed today!
    On the website admissions page the little video says in our mailboxes March 1. I hope this is true. I cant take another day of this.
  • FatherliFatherli Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    Anyone know how many applications they received?
    I wonder..good question.
  • mosamamosama Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Thanks, GCmom--I never bothered to play that video until you pointed it out! I'm guessing, then, that they mailed them out yesterday. Good luck, everyone!
This discussion has been closed.