Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Geneseo admissions office on top of things

weenieweenie Registered User Posts: 5,793 Senior Member
edited March 2005 in SUNY at Geneseo
I (a mother) received a very nice letter today from the admissions office thanking me for writing the parent essay. I think that is pretty classy. I attended SUNY Binghamton and really hated it. I did not want my son to attend a SUNY school, but he applied to Geneseo as a "financial safety." But I have to say that all of our contacts with the school have been every bit as (or more) professional than the other 6 (private) schools he has applied to. I was also impressed with Geneseo on the tour. It will be a tough sell to my son because it is so close to home, but I'm starting to think it wouldn't be such a bad place for him.
Post edited by weenie on

Replies to: Geneseo admissions office on top of things

• allureNY86allureNY86 Registered User Posts: 669 Member
    why did you hate bing?
  • weenieweenie Registered User Posts: 5,793 Senior Member
    Well, first of all I was there 25 years ago! I just never "fit in" there. It was too impersonal for what I needed at the time. Just to give you an example, I ended up as a freshman living on a floor where the RA spent the entire year off campus at her boyfriend's. No one cared or noticed. I don't recall ever having any kind of academic advisement. There was a severe lack of diversity on campus, with nearly every student coming from the NYC/Long Island metro region. That meant a lot of them already had established friendships. At the time it seemed like they all wanted to be doctors or lawyers, which gets a little old fast.The courses were VERY "Pre-Med weed out" which I do not think is useful in ANY way. Professors had no time or interest in undergrads. They weren't particularly overwhelmed in research - they just didn't particularly care about students (except one I can think of in the Socio dept, who I saw has recently passed away).

Hopefully things have changed for the better there. I know at least one person who really liked his time at SUNY-B. Every college will have some kids who love it, and some who hate it. So, take all opinions with a grain of salt. The important thing is to try to get a real feel if it fits YOU or not. That is not something that got much attention when we were kids.
    I know everyone's opinions are different, but thanks for voicing yours. I was about to apply to Geneseo, but wound up applying to Bing as my only SUNY. In the case of a disaster where my financial aid packages are all dismal, Binghamton would be an option within my financial bracket. Yeah, I can see how Bing can be perceived as impersonal. A bunch of students from my school go each year. One girl was complaining about how there are so many TAs, and how few of them speak English (maybe she exaggerated a bit). Plus she couldn't use a calculator in certain math classes, which I think is slightly harsh. Basically at Binghamton I get the feeling that it's sink or swim, and you're on your own. And since it's a large-ish public university, of course profs aren't going to hang around and try to help you out when they have bigger and better things to do. And pre-meds are still dominating the campus in large numbers, from what I hear. But thanks again; your opinion was very helpful and something I'll remember when decision-making time comes. :)
  • MMood87MMood87 - Posts: 184 Junior Member
    eh how hard is binghamton, i have a friend at geneseo who is working her ass off (smart also) and is getting a 3.3. And then there's the no name recognition for grad. school.

but binghamton is so pre-med weeding and the professors are all stingy, apathetic teachers (to do research only), that i don't nkow where to go.
    Binghamton, hard? No, I meant that it's very lacking in support in case you want any. I'd prefer a place where I can get some help with my essays or things I happen to have trouble with. But seriously, I think I can graduate Binghamton in three years or even less, what with AP credit, SUNY Albany credit, and Mercy College credit. Less than three years... wow, that's cheap tuition!
This discussion has been closed.