Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is Geneseo right for me?

jsmalljsmall Registered User Posts: 737 Member
edited April 2008 in SUNY at Geneseo
I'm not really familiar with SUNY Geneseo, but it looks interesting to me. Here are a few questions:
1) Rate political atmosphere 1-10, One being ultra-l=conservative and 10 being ultra-liberal.
2) I know most of the students are instate. Are they mainly from up-state or the city?
3) Rate diversity (racial, cultural, religious) 1-10. 1 being not diverse at all, 10 being very diverse.
Post edited by jsmall on

Replies to: Is Geneseo right for me?

• jsmalljsmall Registered User Posts: 737 Member
    Bump.........
  • jsmalljsmall Registered User Posts: 737 Member
    Bbbbbbuuuuuuuummmmmppppp !!!!
  • hudsonvalley51hudsonvalley51 Registered User Posts: 2,449 Senior Member
    My information is likely to be dated, but from past experience and conversations with fairly recent Geneseo grads I would say that the political leanings of the undergrad population are slightly left of center -- say 7-8 on your scale.

The majority of students at Geneseo are from Upstate NY, with a fairly sizeable proportion coming from the larger suburban high schools around Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo, Albany etc. I don't have a precise percentage.

Geneseo reports that about 12% of undergrads are URMs. The breakdown is as follows (from Geneseo's web site):

American Indian 0.4%, Asian 6.3%, African American 2.0%, Hispanic 3.3%
  • BigEast55BigEast55 Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    As a current student:

1) Politically, this campus is rather apathetic, but it leans a little liberal, maybe a 6 or 7; but the politics of the surrounding area definitely lean conservative.

2) Lots of people from Buffalo and Rochester and Westchester County/Long Island. Not that many from NYC.

3) This campus is upper middle class white people.
  • LilyMoonLilyMoon Registered User Posts: 1,832 Senior Member
    If you are looking for an ultra liberal diverse population then SUNY New Paltz would be the one to look at. It also has an artsy reputation. I think the students are a mix of upstate, NYC, Long Island, Brooklyn and from other parts. There are International students too.
  • ReInventorReInventor Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    I have a simliar question to the politics one--it's okay if not everyone on the campus is into politics, but is there at least a group of people who are interested in politics and social activism? It's important to me so I'm curious.
  • BigEast55BigEast55 Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    Yeah, there are groups like Model UN which are pretty political, and college dems/repubs are pretty big on campus.
This discussion has been closed.