Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which SUNY Schools are the best for Political Science/IR/Social Studies in general?

SirStencilSirStencil Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
So I did fairly well on my SAT, mid 1400's, the only problem is we're not the richest family so a lot of these $60,000+ schools are a bit out of my price range (even though I'm totally wanting to go there). I've only visited New Paltz, and I must be honest I didn't like the vibe. Since I obviously want to take advantage of the cheaper college (thanks excelsior!) in my home state, which SUNY schools should I look at if I'm going into Poli Sci or IR?

Replies to: Which SUNY Schools are the best for Political Science/IR/Social Studies in general?

• techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 2,870 Senior Member
    How about Albany? It's the state capitol, so there should be opportunities for internships, etc.

My son studied poli sci at Plattsburgh and liked it but that was a few years ago, so I don't know how the department is.
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 1,839 Senior Member
    edited June 9
    I think Geneseo would be a must for your list.

And I say that because doing a SUNY major search (have you tried it?) gives only 3 SUNYs with IR. They are Buff State, Geneseo and New Paltz. We haven’t looked closely at Geneseo because my daughter is interested in engineering, but for humanities majors most people here tend to very highly rate Geneseo.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 21,940 Forum Champion
    Absolutely look at Binghamton.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,004 Senior Member
    Geneseo, Binghamton, Albany. Apply for honors whenever possible.
    Do run the NPC on meet need colleges - try Dickinson, for instance.
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing Forum Champion Williams College Posts: 1,660 Forum Champion
    Binghamton
    Cornell- Industrial Relations
    Geneseo