Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

New SUNY General thread

Muffy333Muffy333 Registered User Posts: 2,108 Senior Member
edited May 2008 in SUNY - General
LOOK! There's a new subforum for those applying to the lesser known great SUNYs!
Post edited by Muffy333 on

Replies to: New SUNY General thread

• LilyMoonLilyMoon Registered User Posts: 1,832 Senior Member
    Yay! Yay! Thanks for posting about it.....I asked and then didn't bother to look. Silly, I know.

Let's get the word out! :)
  • wdrmhbswdrmhbs Registered User Posts: 387 Member
    Yay:D Nice idea
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Registered User Posts: 12,379 Senior Member
    Just found this new subforum!
  • PerfectedxchaosPerfectedxchaos Registered User Posts: 872 Member
    There needs to be a CUNY subforum.
  • caligurl2569caligurl2569 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    i got accepted to both for music business
    i am having a really hard time deciding
    can anyone help?
    Cali - I think Fredonia, from what I've heard, has a stronger music program. Additionally, I think it has a better reputation. Oneonta seems to be more of a party school, from what I have heard.
  • sbuadmissionssbuadmissions College Rep Posts: 1,993 Senior Member
    Excellent idea, whoever put this together. Welcome!

Chris D'Orso
    Assistant Director of Admissions, Stony Brook University
  • NeonzeusNeonzeus Registered User Posts: 1,234 Senior Member
    I posted these questions on the SUNY thread in the College Search board, with no success. Does anyone here know the answers?

Is the SUNY system participating in the College Exchange program? I'd love to encourage my son at SUNY Buffalo to do a semester or even summer school at a college in Wyoming, California or Maine down the road, as a cheaper option to a semester abroad. The tuition deal through College Exchange is great. I saw that Buffalo College is listed on the College Exchange site, and don't know if that means it's a program that the entire state system can access. I emailed College Exchange, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

Also -- does the fact that a student did his/her undergrad work within SUNY carry any weight when applying to SUNY grad schools?
    Neon - I think there is a "study abroad"-esque program within the states because at an orientation at a SUNY, I remember thinking I could go to Hawaii for a semester....

And I would imagine that going to one SUNY undergrad could help for SUNY grad, but I am not sure. But I would imagine that going to say, UB and applying for grad. school at that one, would carry more weight...
  • sbuadmissionssbuadmissions College Rep Posts: 1,993 Senior Member
    Yes, we do participate in the College Exchange program. (At least, Stony Brook does.) Buffalo State College is not the same as UB, but I'd assume that UB would participate; have him contact the Academic Affairs office, and they'll help direct him where to go.

To your other question, it probably doesn't hurt to come from a SUNY campus, but it really depends on the program and the campus, as grad programs really vary widely across the state.

Chris
  • MaryAnn CMaryAnn C Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
    Did anyone hear from regular admissions from Oneonta?
    MaryAnn - I *think* they may be out by now, though don't quote me on that.
    i am still having a hard time choosing between fredonia and oneonta. I got into both already for music business and seriously have no idea where I want to go
    cali - I think Fredonia has a better reputation.
    Yeah I hear a lot of great things about fredonia music program, but not the music business

and I have heard from many people a lot of great things about about oneonta music business program

it's all so stressful
    usually I am good on deciding things
    but this is putting me in a pickle
This discussion has been closed.