Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Chance Me for SUNY's

Replies to: Chance Me for SUNY's

• TymelTymel Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    Because of you guys I've been heavily researching SUNY schools and am starting to be attracted towards Plattsburgh and Cortland. I just figure I will do really good at a state school and than maybe go to grad school for Comp Science If I can not get a job. Im not sure if comp science really matters by school like business would I hope not. As long as I do internships and study abroad I should be fine.

So my list of schools to apply too kinda changed from Bing to Platt. My list is looking something like this:

SUNY Plattsburgh
    SUNY Cortland
    SUNY Buffalo

Just need to find some other schools that fit my criteria. Once again a big thank you.
  • nysmilenysmile Registered User Posts: 5,850 Senior Member
    Very good list! Plattsburgh is a nice school. I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you go there for a college visit. You can PM me if you want some more info about the student life, dorms, etc.
    I will PM you around spring next year when I start picking my dorm for Plattsburgh (if i get accepted) or before that if I have any questions about the school. I wish there was a larger group of Plattsburghers(?) on CC. Is there a different forum where they frequent more often?
  • nysmilenysmile Registered User Posts: 5,850 Senior Member
    You can email the Plattsburgh admissions office any time with questions. Based on our experience, they're very quick to answer. Definitely put it on your list of SUNY's to visit.
  • tomslawskytomslawsky Registered User Posts: 1,378 Senior Member
    Your stats are just right for Oswego. Also, Oswego is launching a new computer engineering program I think this year. You should apply there.it's a good school. I know, I'm an alumni :).
    Thanks for the information tom. I will take it into consideration, my list has changed a lot.

SUNY Plattsburgh
    SUNY Fredonia or Oneonta
    SUNY Oswego
    SUNY Buffalo
    UMass Amherst
    Penn State
  • Muffy333Muffy333 Registered User Posts: 2,108 Senior Member
    Maybe add Albany? Kids in my NY school district seem to get into Albany at a higher rate than Buffalo. But try to go visit schools if possible.
  • wdrmhbswdrmhbs Registered User Posts: 387 Member
    Yeah I was going to say Buffalo can be difficult to get into.
    I know that Oneonta has a really nice campus, although hilly. And I have also heard that Oswego and Plattsburgh have beautiful campuses.
  • xNYerxNYer Registered User Posts: 454 Member
    Look into Buffalo State College also.
    You will not be out in the sticks like some of your present selections.
  • vahevalavahevala Registered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
    Buff State may be a good option for you...it is in a fun part of Buffalo and easier to get into than UB. I know that UB requires a minimum SAT and have heard from others that they do not bend on that, one girl was accepted into the theater dept but denied admission due to low SAT. Also, Buff State is not as huge as UB, more the size of Bing.
  • vahevalavahevala Registered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
    One other option is Brockport. My D loved it there when we visited. Good luck!
  • Muffy333Muffy333 Registered User Posts: 2,108 Senior Member
    SUNY Buffalo's website says 81 percent scored at or above 1100 on SAT so if you're a 1090, you're probably at the top of the 19 percent who scored lower. With a solid B plus average and being a minority, you definitely should apply!
    This is the information on the ENROLLED freshmen at UB for 2007.

As it turns out you actually are slightly above the 25th percentile for ENROLLED freshmen. DON'T be confused with the ACCEPTED numbers that are often reported. Pointless if they are accepeted but don't enroll.

Per the data set:
    CR 500 @ 25% & 610 @ 75%
    M 540 @ 25% & 650 @ 75%

With your stats you actually have a shot at UB.
    Per the data set:

CR 570 @ 25%
    M 610 @ 25%

ACT - 25

You have to get the SAT up to have a shot at this school.

By the way you REALLY need to visit some of these more remote schools.
    Then picture them in the middle of winter.
    Cow tipping looses it's luster after a few weeks.
    I will visit them around the fall. When I visit UB I will also visit Buff State. Thanks for all the help everyone, SUNY seems to be a very important option for me.

I always thought Albany was much harder to get into than Buffalo. I dont think I want to go to Albany tho because I heard the campus was depressing.
This discussion has been closed.