Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Binghamton Bioengineering vs. Stony Brook Biomedical Engineering?

cephraimcephraim Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
Does anyone have a recent, detailed comparison of the two? I know SBU's is older. Any other data?

Replies to: Binghamton Bioengineering vs. Stony Brook Biomedical Engineering?

• j814wongj814wong Registered User Posts: 427 Member
    I've been told by a Bioengineering professor at Binghamton that next year (Fall 2014) the Bioengineering program will be renamed the Biomedical Engineering program to reflect shifting interests to a focus in the medical aspects.
  • cephraimcephraim Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    Are you a student in the department, @j814wong?
  • j814wongj814wong Registered User Posts: 427 Member
    No but I am currently a Mech.Eng. student at Binghamton. I considered majoring in Bioengineering (Soon to be BioMed Engineering) but decided against that with teh advice of many on CC.

The thread you linked makes sense. You should study a more traditional engineering discipline first. For example, I am majoring in Mechaical Engineering and my plan is to eventually get a Masters degree in Mech. Eng. followed by a Ph.D in Biomedical Engineering or simply get a Masters in Biomedical Engineering.

Studying a traditional engineering field as an undergraduate gives you a better base in engineering.
  • TheBombingRangeTheBombingRange Registered User Posts: 647 Member
    I can tell you from personal experience that Stony Brook's BME program (of which I am a member) far surpasses that of Bing. Stony Brook is known for its science and engineering, Bing is not. Bing let's you do two years of general engineering before letting you chose your discipline, at Stony Brook you will be taking the major-specific classes you want from the beginning.
    edited March 2014
    @TheBombingRange - I am not sure that is completely correct for two reasons: 1) My son was not accepted directly into the BME program at SBU. So, he'd have to take general engineering classes his first year anyhow and then apply to the BME program for sophomore year. 2) I have the Bing Bioengineering recommended course curriculum in front of me. Year 2 includes three BME classes.You declare after your FIRST year at Bing. I suppose that, if he were admitted directly into the BME program at SBU, he might be able to take a BME class or two freshman year. Maybe.
    Having said that, do you have any other (fact-based) comparisons?
  • TheBombingRangeTheBombingRange Registered User Posts: 647 Member
    Not really, mostly just opinion. Our program is older, turns out more papers per year, larger, more well known. He will be able to enter the major if he finishes Physics and Calc I and 2 in freshman year.
This discussion has been closed.