Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

McCabe Scholarship

raideraderaiderade - Posts: 2,499 Senior Member
edited January 2011 in Swarthmore College
I'm wondering if anyone else has any information on the Delmarva McCabe Achievement Award. I was just informed that I was selected as a finalist (so excited!), but I don't really know what it entails exactly. If I'm a finalist can I feel confident that I'll be accepted? How many students are selected as finalists?
Post edited by raiderade on

Replies to: McCabe Scholarship

  • viavia Registered User Posts: 757 Member
    huh. i've never heard it before. i tried looking it up but couldn't find anything on it. does it have anything to do with Thomas Bayard McCabe?
  • raideraderaiderade - Posts: 2,499 Senior Member
    Yes it's the only merit scholarship Swarthmore gives. It's only for kids in the Delmarva peninsula.
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons Registered User Posts: 5,116 Senior Member
    raiderade,
    Here's a previous year's thread discussing the McCabe. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/swarthmore/454230-mccabe-scholarship.html
  • KeilexandraKeilexandra Registered User Posts: 5,492 Senior Member
    Last year (i.e. my year) and in previous years that I know of, there were 2 Delmarva McCabes and 2 SE PA McCabes. These 4 scholarships are the reason why Swarthmore gives 99% need-based aid--it's the other 1%, with very strict geographic limitations.

    Congratulations on being named a McCabe finalist, raiderade! Unless policy changes, they will verbally accept you at the interview. I believe 7-8 finalists are selected for each region, and 2 are chosen. So the scholarship is definitely competitive even in the finalist round, but you should feel reasonably confident about admission.
  • Swattie15Swattie15 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Does anyone know if the Delware Country McCabe finalists were chosen yet?
  • runrabbitrunrabbit Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Each year there are 2 McCabe merit scholars selected from Delaware/Maryland,
    2 McCabe merit scholars from Delaware, Chester or Montgomery counties in Pennsylvania
    and 2 from anywhere that I think are financial aid based awards. The scholarship is full tuition, you don't submit anything but your regular application, can be ED or RD and all admitted students from those geographic areas are considered. They bring in ~ 10 finalists to interview on a Saturday and Sunday the awardees are contacted by phone. A letter is sent to everyone the following week. If you are brought in for an interview, you are admitted to Swarthmore. The Delaware/Maryland interviewees brought in one week and Pennsylvania another.
  • raideraderaiderade - Posts: 2,499 Senior Member
    Thank you so much for the information! So helpful! I feel so honored just to be selected as a finalist. I'm ecstatic that I've (probably) been accepted to Swarthmore.
This discussion has been closed.