Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

sat II optional or required?

2»

Replies to: sat II optional or required?

• liminalliminal Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    First off, the subject tests only take an hour. I'm not saying that he can't get into Swarthmore, I'm just saying that a 590 in math -- the 30th percentile -- no matter what the circumstance -- is not going to cut it for Swat engineering. I'm not saying this to damage your son's pysche (or yours) but am simply pointing out that the experience will be pretty hellish if certain abilities aren't up to snuff. He could get by, sure, but I'm not saying that it would be fun.

As a note I'm dubious of your usage of "not the greatest" test taking skills given that a score of 30 on the ACT is hardly indicative of test taking inability. In other words, you can't use a test score to bolster his abilities and then subsequently state that testing is a general weakness.

Yes, let's trust the "adcons," and see if he gets in -- then we'll worry about it.
  • UnshakenUnshaken Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    For whatever it's worth, I was just admitted [Early Decision II] only having taken the SAT Reasoning and one [US History] SAT II. The rest of my application was more than in-order, and now I've just got to take an additional SAT II in whatever subject between now and June. They appear to be very flexible with this sort of thing [however, I'm not sure if this treatment is exclusive to future athletes there].
  • roderickroderick Registered User Posts: 1,488 Senior Member
    unshaken, are you an athlete?
  • UnshakenUnshaken Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Yes. My stats are solid [10th of 450+ in my class, 2170 (1470) SAT, 770 SAT II], but I'm not going to deny that my admission was probably helped to some [probably significant] degree by playing baseball.
  • liminalliminal Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    yeah they're not going to be as lenient for non-athletes and non-hooked applicants.
  • cynicalromanticcynicalromantic Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I got a 2280 on my SATs, and I have a 4.212 GPA (we do it out of an unweighted 4.5 scale - I'm not sure what that is on a 4.0 scale). I also took the US History and English Lit SAT Subject tests, and got a 790 and an 800, respectively. I was wondering if I should take the Math 2 or not. What do you think?
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons Registered User Posts: 5,116 Senior Member
    Don't need it unless you are going to be an engineering major.
2»
This discussion has been closed.