Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Your SU Guru | Ask Me Anything

Replies to: Your SU Guru | Ask Me Anything

• House of LondonHouse of London - Posts: 1,268 Senior Member
    Orientation events such as home to the dome would be arranged more so with the dormitory your daughter will be placed. I was placed in Shaw and my RA would update me frequently about orientation events and activities. Your daughter will also be getting emails pamphlets, and more information on where she should go and how to prepare for orientation.

Hope that helps.
  • syracuseboundsyracusebound Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    Is it true that you need 3 years of Foreign language to get accepted?
  • LadydonniLadydonni Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    What kinds of discounts and deals around town do Syracuse students get with their ID ?
  • fearless2012fearless2012 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    If you dont meet some of the admission requirements do you still have a chance at being accepted through ED?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CC App
  • lopez1lopez1 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello,
    First thanks for your time. I want to apply to the school of architecture but because it is ranked #2 in the country it is harder to get in then the average gpa, etc.
    Do you know anything about the school of arch? any info will help. thanks a lot.
    and do you think if i apply to cornell, is it as hard as syracuse or harder to get in?
    Ladydonni,

There are quite a few starting with free shuttle buses on the weekends (and Fridays) to Carousel Mall. You will find out more about the various options if or once you get to campus. (assuming you're an incoming freshman)

syracusebound,

I only took two years of Spanish but if you have the opportunity to take a 3rd year of a foreign language I would do so. It only helps to maximize your chances of admission.

fearless2012,

I would imagine it not being impossible to gain admission ED but you also wouldn't be maximizing your chances of admission either. What kind of requirements are you most concerned about?

lopez1,

It is said that the arc school has the highest incoming GPA of all the schools on campus --even surpassing that of Newhouse students. I would still apply because your portfolio would most likely carry more weight. I'd say if you could give in a stellar portfolio along with a great GPA and SAT score, you should be in good shape. I don't much about admission requirements for Cornell and how it compares to Syracuse'.
    Well the requirements I'm worried about is foreign lang. because I only have 2 years of foreign language and I will have all 4 years of science but in CA they do not count one of my sciences as a lab so I feel tht SU wont either

I would contact admissions and explain this issue and have them advise you.
    I have and I'm still in talks with them and so is my school counselor. Thank you though

• callalily412callalily412 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Hello! I'm hoping you can help me with a few questions.

I'm entering my junior year and I hope to major in either psych or child studies and minor in the other. I currently have an unweighted 3.5 gpa. I honestly don't remember what it is weighted, but I'm pretty sure it's around a 3.9. I'm taking 1 ap and 1 ib class this year and almost all others I have taken/will take are honors.

The extracurriculars I'm involved in are the student ambassador program, my school's literary magazine, and the secretary of the gay-straight alliance.

I have over 100 service hours and may very well exceed the amount to earn this certain award given by my county. I also have an outstanding subject for my college essay.

Do you think I have what it takes to be accepted?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated?
  • SYRboundSYRbound Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Is it best to buy books now or to wait until after say the first week of class for incoming freshmen?
  • CMIRA003CMIRA003 Registered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
    @ House, how does the Goon Squad works? My daughter will be arriving Cuse on the 24th. She will be on her own. Can't be able to go with her after all. Such is life. I read that there will be no shuttle for the new arrivals at the airport. Is this true? So, she needs to take a taxi from the airpot to the University, and where exactly does she need to go to? Appreciate your response. and Thanks.
    @SYRbound, I would wait until the first week, especially if you're going to rent them through Chegg or buy them on Amazon. You probably wouldn't need an entire week. Probably after 2 or 3 class days.

CMIRA003,

wow. She's moving in so early. Goon squad is a group of students (about 7 based at every dorm) who will be assisting students with moving in (providing moving bins, directing students on where to go, and how to check in etc.) I'm not so sure about the shuttles. You should call up the University to find out. If you need a cab that goes to SU, here is the phone number: 315-4-SU - TAXI ---> (315)-478-8000. Just call and book a cab ride. It's a service that caters mostly to get SU students to and from campus.

Hope that helps.
  • CMIRA003CMIRA003 Registered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
    @ House, thanks. It did. I just saved the number.
  • TheVille14TheVille14 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    @House,
    I know that on SU's website they say the don't have an overnight option, but is there anyway that one could be set up. I feel as if it would be more beneficial to stay on campus than to go out in a hotel when I come for my visit.
This discussion has been closed.