Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

why college? why syracuse?

mommybabymommybaby Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
wondering if anyone is rethinking going to college at all after the recent hostility at dartmouth,amherst, columbia etc? the dartmouth video is especially disturbing. i looked up some of the required courses at some colleges and found some troubling trends. i'm very conservative kid from a conservative area and i would feel very uncomfortable taking these courses. my parents say either agree with the indoctrination or flunk out. they, and other adults i know said they never had to go through this garbage in their day. before you say i need to go to some religious school, i have no interest in religion. syracuse course catalog is pretty disturbing as well. unfortunate that you need the social indoctrination even if you just want accounting or finance degree.
how much do auto mechanics make?

Replies to: why college? why syracuse?

• cassiek21cassiek21 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I'm a Syracuse student and I'm not quite sure what you're implying. Syracuse is by no means a religious school and there are plenty of liberals, along with plenty of conservatives. College is all about stepping outside of your comfort zone, so being around people with different perspectives might open your eyes and prepare you for the real world. I'm not sure which curriculum you looked at, but there aren't many required gen ed courses. By this, I mean you have hundreds of electives to choose from to fulfill your Arts & Sciences electives. You could take any elective from The Bible to Oceanography to Portuguese. Also, yes. Syracuse is quite expensive but the professors and students that you meet will provide you with lifelong memories and networks. Syracuse graduates have a ~starting~ salary of around $50,000 (depending on the college) and auto mechanics have a ~median~ salary of $36,000.
  • fallenchemistfallenchemist Honorary Super Mod Posts: 25,129 Inactive
    The original post, as it is written, has nothing to do with Syracuse. If the OP wants to repost in a more general forum, that would be fine, but it is not on topic for this forum, as written.
This discussion has been closed.