Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Syracuse level

DOLODOLO - Posts: 55 Junior Member
edited June 2006 in Syracuse University
I like this university, but what do you think is it a good university, is it's level high, and are there good academics?
Post edited by DOLO on

Replies to: Syracuse level

• taxguytaxguy Registered User Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    Dolo, you can get a quality education at any accredited school IF YOU do the work. That said, Syracuse is a good school. It is rated in the top 50 by US News and World Report. Their stongest schools are communication school, Maxwell School, and School of Art and Design. Other good programs, although not as well known as those above, are kinesthesiology, drama, and business.

The question is not whether Syracuse has some good programs because they do. The real question is can you get just as good programs at cheaper schools such as a state university after taking any financial aid into account?

My daughter was accepted by Syracuse and University of Cincinnati and RIT and other schools for design. Because Syracuse gave us NO AID, it didn't seem to make sense to us for her to attend Syracuse considering that the other schools were, in our opinion, just as good.

You do need to evaluate the fit for yourself. If you love the Syracuse culture over that of other school, it may make sense to pay the price of tuition. If you could be as happy elsewhere at a comparable school, you might be better off going to the less expensive alternative. Thus, you REALLY need to visit all schools of interest and talk to kids there and read over the forums on the various school.

For what it's worth, read over my "overview of our visit to Syracuse" thread found at the top of this forum. It's a good place to start.
  • DOLODOLO - Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Thank you for responce. any accredited school
  • DOLODOLO - Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Thank you for responce. you mentioned "any accredited school", but acredited schools dont have same weighted diplomas, I mean after graduating from Yale, Harvard,Pennsylvania differs from graduating from the university that has low level of academics, courses and etc. I mean in my question if Syracuse was High levedled university. fter graduation will i be offered well payed job or not? Is Syracuse prestigious university?(i know that it is not as good as the ivy's but still, you know what i mean.) Does this university offer proffesional academics who stand on the same level as Georgetown or Emory.?
  • taxguytaxguy Registered User Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    DOLO, I will tell you again: you can get the same education at all the schools that you mentioned. The key is you and the dedication that you will exhibit.

As for prestige, no, Syracuse isn't as prestigious as Georgetown or Emory in most areas. However, I would say that they are up there with even those schools for their School of Communication. Also, the schools that you mentioned don't have a strong art and design curriculum, which Syracuse does. Also, I don't think that the schools that you mentioned have as many majors as that of Syracuse. Thus, you will have more choices at Syracuse than found at many other schools.
This discussion has been closed.