A chance of in-state tuition?

<p>I currently live in Northeastern Ohio, and my first choice school, ideally, is the University of Pittsburgh.</p>

<p>In-state tuition at Pitt is $11,000 and out-of-state is $20,000.</p>

<p>Paying out-of-state tuition is almost out of the question...unless I score some big scholarships, it's unaffordable.</p>

<p>The part that really drives me CRAZY though is that I live not even 5 minutes away from the Pennsylvania border. In fact, a friend of mine at my high school actually lives in PA, and will be attending Pitt on In-State tuition.</p>

<p>So. What possible ways, if any, are there for me to get in-state tuition? Moving to PA is actually an option. I was thinking more along the lines of...I don't know, a 5-mile-radius law? I just find it grossly unfair that a girl attending my same high school, who lives 5 minutes from me, can attend Pitt at nearly half the price I would have to pay.</p>

<p>Thanks for any input!</p>

<p>Even if your family moves to PA, you'll still be paying OOS for atleast a year, unless like you said, you can get in-state in OH. But that would nullify any reason to move to PA in the first place. I'm not sure how long Pitt (or the state of PA) requires that you live in-state before getting in-state tuition.</p>

<p>If it makes you feel any better (and it probably won't) it has nothing to do with your proximity to PA but rather the fact that the taxes your family pays help Ohio schools and the taxes your friends family pays help PA schools.
How about Ohio State?</p>

<p>eh I really don't think any rule is possible.. in my class of 45, like 15 live in WV, 3 in PA, and the rest of us are from MD.. (its also odd that wvu is about 1 hour away, penn state is about 2, and md is about 2 and a half)
most of the people in my class go to wvu and pay OOS (also because its easy to get into).. yeah so my city is such a dumb tri state hub thing... but at least I live in maryland :)</p>

<p>Have you applied to Pitt yet? I wrote to you before when you asked what your chances were on the U of Pitt site on CC. You may be able to get some scholarships either from the university or from the department you want to major in. You won't know unless you apply. My D is from NE Ohio also and she will be going to Pitt in the fall. </p>

<p>It's got to be frustrating being that close and yet so far. Do you go to a private school? Is that why you have students from PA there? You can always apply for private scholarships, too.</p>

<p>You need to live in the state for at least a year (2 for some schools) in order to be applicable for in-state tuition.</p>

<p>Try to get a scholarship, you never know.</p>

<p>But you pay state taxes in Ohio, not Pennsylvania, and that's what it comes down to, unfortunately.</p>

<p>Some schools have "neighbor" scholarships available. Have you checked on that?</p>

<p>check for domestic exchange programs</p>

<p>also, the reason schools have low in-state tuition rates is because the state government subsidizes the difference when you live in state. </p>

<p>If you don't pay taxes and are not contributing to the state, that's why you won't get it.</p>

<p>I'm in the same boat as you, however with my major I'm forced to go out of state. The best thing is to sweat out your first year then push for residency.</p>

<p>Thousands of kids in the northern suburbs of Chicago wish that were possible.</p>

<p>state schools get funding from your taxes, and its usually a "year" of residency in a state, but in a sense, it may not be a full year...
heres how it works:
taxes are paid generally in feb-april (due april 1)...in most states, you're granted in-state tuition the school-year following the season you paid taxes in that state...as long as you file your taxes in that state before april 1, you'll recieve in-state tuition that next august (not sure about summer courses...)...im not exactly sure how long you have to live/declare residency to file taxes in the state (i would say 30-60 days, but it might vary state to state, as it might even be once you change your address)
the schools say a year because most likely, a student will not change their residency before the tax-season prior to their first year (they should be still in high school), but many people do it for their third year, as they move off campus their second-year and declare residency</p>

<p>It is FAR from that easy. Most states assume underrgads are still dependents of their parents. Unless the parents move forget it.</p>

<p>a dependent can have a perm. residency other than their parents im pretty sure...the parents just cant claim them as dependents, so they get less of a tax break</p>

<p>Generally, shoebox10, residency follows the parent's (or parents') residence for in-state tuition purposes. Otherwise, every student would simply pay OOS for the first year, and then declare in-state residency for the next 3 years. The states are not stupid; they set their rules.</p>

<p>From the University of Pittsburgh website:

1. Since a student normally comes to the University of Pittsburgh for the primary or sole purpose of attending the University rather than to establish a domicile in Pennsylvania, one who enrolls at the University as a non-resident shall continue to be so classified throughout his/her attendance as a student. This presumption may be rebutted through convincing evidence.
2. A student who does not have continuous residence in Pennsylvania for a period of twelve months immediately prior to enrollment as a student at a college or university in the Commonwealth is presumed not to be a Pennsylvania domiciliary; however, a student may rebut such presumption with convincing evidence.
3. A person attempting to establish eligibility for tuition purposes must be a United States citizen or must have been admitted to the United States on an immigrant visa. A tourist, student or any other type of nonimmigrant visa is not considered proof of domiciliary intent.
4. A minor is presumed to have the domicile of her/his parents or legal guardian. The age of majority in Pennsylvania for establishing eligibility for reduced tuition purposes is twenty-one (21). However, a minor may prove emancipation and independent status through convincing evidence.
5. A United States government employee or a member of the armed forces who was domiciled in Pennsylvania immediately preceding entry into government service and who has continuously maintained Pennsylvania as the state of his/her legal residence will be presumed to have a Pennsylvania domicile. Others in government service may, by convincing evidence, establish Pennsylvania as their domicile.
6. A student receiving a scholarship, grant, loan or other type of aid, which is dependent upon domicile being in a state other than Pennsylvania, is not domiciled in Pennsylvania.
<a href="emphasis%20added">/quote</a></p>

<p>ahhh...i know my sister went to UGA and she couldve established residency during her junior year, but it may vary college to college or state to state</p>

<p>actually, if you're an independent student, transfer your DL, pay PA taxes, and show an intent to stay in the state, you can petition to be considered for residency status through the Bursar's office.</p>