Can Rice, Duke, and Northwestern be considered matches?

<p>Even with amazing stats no one can call Stanford, Princeton, and MIT matches, they are reaches for everyone as I've heard around here. So since you are usually advised to have a couple match schools, can these three - schools that are as good but with slightly lower admissions standards (correct me if I'm wrong) be considered matches by a strong applicant?</p>

<p>Maybe low reaches. But matches? No.</p>

<p>That's a hard one, seeing as it has been so competitive recently.
But if the person has NO weak areas in their application ie. outstanding test scores and GPA, international/national level extracurriculars, strong future ahead of them, interesting leadership roles, I guess it is considered a match.</p>

<p>safeties no, matches yes. I'm sure for some extra-ordinary students Columbia too can be considered a match.</p>

<p>^^^ to the above: WHY?</p>

<p>Columbia has an admission rate between 9 and 14% depending on the college. Not a match.
Rice, Duke and NW range between 20 and 25%. I would not consider those matches either.</p>

<p>^ Acceptance rates are just acceptance rates. They are based off of the entire applicant pool to those schools, many who are underqualified. A match is probably a school where you have over a 70ish percent chance. If applicants are qualified, they could certainly be matches.</p>

<p>For a 2350 Val with great ECs these three could be matches. Any school accepting below 15% could not be IMO.</p>

<p>If you are a hooked applicant (URM, legacy, etc.) with scores, GPA, etc. in the 75th percentile of accepted students and have solid ECs, I'd consider these schools a match. For somebody who is a recruited athlete or child of a parent who has donated over a million dollars, I'd consider them safeties! ;)</p>

<p>Well, Duke has currently become the 11th most selective institution of learning (10th most selective university)
The</a> HARDEST Schools To Get Into 2010 (PHOTOS)</p>

<p>So no, Erin's Dad's acceptance is a bit outdated. And if I recall, Olympic Ice Skater, Rachel Flatt applied to Stanford, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, Duke, UCLA and the University of Denver.</p>

<p>She got into all, except waitlisted at Harvard and rejected at Duke.
Flatt</a> aims to make grade at nationals - The Denver Post</p>

<p>Also, I believe Anonymous93, a very kind user who roams around CC's High School life, got into every Ivy League (HYP included) except a rejection from Stanford SCEA and a waitlist at Duke (which she eventually got into and promptly SIRed). Search for her.</p>

<p>As for Rice and Northwestern...they're getting very selective. So no, they can never be matches, but reaches. There is no such thing as a low reach or a high reach...a reach is a reach is my style of thinking.</p>

<p>Perhaps I don't understand the nomenclature, but how can any elite college or university be considered a match for anyone? My younger son has a good friend happily attending Harvard, who was rejected by every other college he applied to except WashU. He has another good friend, happy at MIT, who was rejected by Stanford, Columbia, and others. There are many students at Princeton who were rejected by Duke, students at Yale who were rejected by Brown, etc. What does "match" mean in the modern world?</p>

<p>^Thank you! OP, pbr has given excellent advice. Listen to him.</p>

<p>It's only on CC you'll find "low matches" "high reaches" etc etc. I highly feel its obnoxious and misleading.</p>

<p>Whoops, duke like the other top schools is getting amazingly competitive.</p>

<p>
[quote]
If you are a hooked applicant (URM, legacy, etc.) with scores, GPA, etc. in the 75th percentile of accepted students and have solid ECs, I'd consider these schools a match

[/quote]
</p>

<p>The above describes my daughter and I would never describe any of these schools as matches.</p>

<p>What the OP needs is some advice on what match schools are if you are top applicant, because he/she has learned these three are reaches, not matches.</p>

<p>EDIT: and those anecdotes about Duke rejecting students who got into Stanford and etc. just sound like the Tufts syndrome or whatever.</p>

<p>Yes, what are schools below top schools that could be considered "Matches"?</p>

<p>Matches are basically safeties imo. Pick colleges with 60+% admit rate.</p>

<p>If you want to think of Duke as a match, thats fine with me. Heck, think of Duke as a community college if that makes you happier.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Well, Duke has currently become the 11th most selective institution of learning (10th most selective university)
The HARDEST Schools To Get Into 2010 (PHOTOS)

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Well, that is almost true.</p>