Chance me for UGA, UF, Penn State- Main Campus (I chance back)

<p>Hi you guys! So I'll cut to the chase: I'm an international student applying for the Fall 2014 semesters.</p>

<p>I am doing the IB Diploma, so all my classes have weight, but the "conversion" says my current GPA is a 3.8 unweighted and 4.8 weighted.</p>

<p>My SAT score is 1940; CR: 690, Math: 580 and Wr: 670.</p>

<p>I'm applying for communications related courses in all.</p>

<p>Specifically Public Relations in UF, a Magazine Journalism with a Publishing minor in UGA, and a Public Relations and Corporate Communications double major at Penn State.</p>

<p>Honors, awards and recognitions:</p>

<ul>
<li>State SpellBee champion</li>
<li>5th in National SpellBee (received a scholarship)</li>
<li>Topped English in the grade in my freshmen and sophomore years</li>
<li>Certified life saver by the international first aid society</li>
<li>Distinction in English from UNSW Global McMillan in freshmen and sophomore years</li>
<li>High distinction in English from UNSW Global McMillan in my junior year</li>
<li>First division in classic Indian vocal – Part I and II</li>
<li>‘A’ grade on my Kathak (Classical Indian dance style) examination</li>
</ul>

<p>ECs:</p>

<ul>
<li>Interned on the online editorial board of a national daily paper</li>
<li>Interned as a social media intern at the PR firm Adfactors PR</li>
<li>Interned as a salesperson in the fashion retail store Forever New Apparels P Ltd.</li>
<li>English editor on the school yearbook committee</li>
<li>Regular columnist for school magazine</li>
<li>Regular MUN-ner (I have won 'Best Delegate' in two till date)</li>
<li>Founder member of student initiative to set up library foundation in local village</li>
<li>Teaching village students English as a second language every weekend</li>
<li>Member of Rotary Club</li>
<li>Sole vocalist in my school choir</li>
<li>Student mentor for Thai students</li>
<li>Captain of the yoga team (We came first in the inter-house competition, if that counts any)</li>
</ul>

<p>I have an annual household income of over $25,0000, and am being 100% sponsored by my parents, so I don't need financial aid, but my counselor says that I qualify for some merit-based scholarships.</p>

<p>Also, if you could suggest similar colleges, that would be a huge help.</p>

<p>Thanks, and good luck in your Uni endeavors!</p>

<p>P.s.: I chance back if you ask.</p>

<p>For UF, you’re a match. Your GPA is fine, SAT Is fine, and your EC’s should help. Don’t count on any merit aid. They give little to none to in-state students, better for OOS students, but I’m not sure how they would treat internationals…likely no merit.</p>

<p>Lots of good journalism schools. Here is one list:</p>

<p>[CM’s</a> Top 10 Journalism Schools](<a href=“http://www.collegemagazine.com/editorial/2282/Top-10-Journalism-Schools]CM’s”>http://www.collegemagazine.com/editorial/2282/Top-10-Journalism-Schools)</p>

<p>I would also recommend taking a look at the University of Missouri.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Thanks! I’ve already sent in my application to UF (the regular decision deadline is surprisingly early), so all I can do now is work hard for my IB comprehensive finals!</p>

<p>I’m not putting any emphasis on merit aid whatsoever and according to what I’ve been reading, this is a “hook” for colleges. However, as an IB student, most universities do offer a small scholarship (I know this for sure in Canada). I don’t think that the situation will be the same in USA, but it’s of no concern anyway.</p>

<p>Can I get some UGA and Penn State chances here please?</p>

<p>You can definitely get into them all! If I’m right, UF is the hardest out of those all to get into, and you’re still a strong bet for that.</p>

<p>You are definitely in at UGA and Penn State, and UF is a match, but your ECs help you stand out. Nice to see a fellow IB student on this site. Good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks guys! I’m really reassured about my status.</p>

<p>Is there any way I can strengthen my profile? I’m sitting for SAT 2 [English and US History] in December, because my SAT 1 score won’t improve unless I really study for it, which is impossible in the middle of my IB curriculum!</p>

<p>All three are numerical and you meet the requirements for all, so you’re in :slight_smile: Congratulations!
In addition, with your IB and GPA, you may apply to Shreyer at Penn State (lots of potential benefits!) and Honors at UGA (if you apply EA to UGA you may get into Honors automatically, otherwise the application is available Dec 1 and needs to be sent soon thereafter for maximum consideration.)
Are you looking into other schools?</p>

<p>Hi! It’s always great to see a fellow Kathak dancer, MUNer and Bombay girl on CC :slight_smile: </p>

<p>UF is a low reach/match
UGA- safety/match
Penn State- safety/match</p>

<p>I would also suggest Northwestern (although you may want to try bringing up your SAT score to be a truly competitive candidate) as a good communications school. Good luck with your ventures! Chance me back? <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1577930-yet-another-chance-post-check-out-maybe.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1577930-yet-another-chance-post-check-out-maybe.html</a></p>

<p>I’m also looking at:</p>

<ul>
<li>Emerson College for Marketing communications (major) and publishing (minor)</li>
<li>University of Melbourne (Australia, yes) - For Advertising and Public Relations</li>
<li>Monash University (Again Australia) - For professional communications.</li>
</ul>

<p>I’m not applying to Northwestern’s communication program as it isn’t “Top 50” ranked (my parents are sticklers for accreditations). Plus, as I’ve mentioned, I don’t have the time to study for SAT during the IB, besides which it is too late in the schedule. But thank you for your suggestion!</p>

<p>I am applying to Shreyer though, I’ve already started the separate application, and my UGA application is also nearly done, after which I’ll start on the Honor’s app!</p>

<p>Thank you for the chancing, I’ve chanced back!</p>

<p>Hi, I think you have great chances of getting into these schools. You’ve definitely got the stats!</p>

<p>If you get into Shreyer (and you do have a good shot), you’ll be very fine. Apply for the GLOBE housing within Honors Housing (only 26 slots so it’s quite competitive to get into that). :)</p>

<h1>1 for undergrad journalism is Missouri-Columbia in case it matters. And you’re in on stats.</h1>