Chances at UCs and lib arts schools?

<p>Hello there. I'm just about to start my senior year and want some advice on which schools are reaches and which are safeties.</p>

<p>Here are my schools:</p>

<p>-Lewis & Clark (Is my top choice. I feel that it's pretty much a match, but I would need good financial aid to be able to attend).
-Reed (I know it's a reach, but I interviewed there and am a contributor to their newspaper)
-Villanova
-UCSD
-UCSB
-UCSC
-UC Irvine</p>

<p>Here are my stats: </p>

<p>GPA: 3.370
Weighted GPA: 3.630 (Yeah, I know it's low.)</p>

<p>SAT I
CR: 750
M: 660
W: 790 w/ 12 essay
I am retaking to up my math score</p>

<p>SAT IIs
Lit: 700
US History: 760</p>

<p>APs:
US History: 5
Lang & Comp: 5</p>

<p>I also got a 219 on my junior PSAT, so I think I am in the running to be a NMSF.</p>

<p>Here's what I do with my time: <a href="ECs">b</a>**</p>

<p>-7 years competitive gymnastics, then coached for a year in a noncompetitive environment to help show young girls that exercise doesn't have to be grueling & cutthroat.
-Cofounded Mock Trial at my high school, 4 years running the team
-ComedySportz (improv team) manager 2 years, member 4 years
-Active in theater, first ever sophomore put into Advanced Drama (6 years)
-6 years of Honor Court, which is my school's student disciplinary committee. I will be the Chief Justice my senior year.
-2 years leading a group on 16 Junior High girls at my church- 5 hours a week of Bible study, etc. </p>

<p>I also have several awards/merits/credentials that really only matter if you're a writing nerd. I plan to major in English with a minor in Political Science.</p>

<p>My Sr. Schedule:</p>

<p>AP Gov/Econ
AP Lit
AP Stats
AP Psych
Creative Writing
Professional Acting</p>

<p>I'm also looking to find some safety schools that are similar in size/feel to L&C and Reed. If you have any in mind, I would greatly appreciate it.</p>

<p>Thanks so much!</p>

<p>i think you have a great shot at lewis and clark. i also believe you will be a strong candidate at reed. some schools in the same vein - willamette in oregon, university of puget sound in washington, and maybe evergreen state in oregon. the one school on your list that doesn't really make sense to me is villanova. it's your one east coast school and it has a completely different feel from lewis and clark, reed, etc. ahhh, i wish you the best of luck!</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for the comment- I actually tried to edit my post to include both University of Puget Sound and UC Davis. But I will take a look at Willamette! </p>

<p>Some more information I forgot to include is that I come from a top-tier public high school (obviously in California). We send 15-20 kids to Ivies each year and about 100 to Cal & UCLA. Will this help or hurt me, since I'm not really at the top of the crop?</p>

<p>And I'm a white female. Boring. :)</p>

<p>I'm writing my essay about the lost and found box at my school.
Trust me :)</p>

<p>But I would really appreciate some input as to a few more schools that would fit my current list.</p>

<p>And are my schools way out of my league?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>For Fall 2008 admits, the weighted GPAs at the UCs are:</p>

<p>SD: 4.06
SB: 3.94
SC: 3.69
Irvine: 3.94</p>

<p>However, your ECs and courseload are solid, and your admissions tests scores are above average for the UCs you picked. I would still recommend applying, but also consider the other UCs (Davis, Merced, Riverside). I don't think you'll end up at Merced or Riverside, but they could serve as safeties.</p>

<p>Well, because UC's don't require you to send in teacher/counselor recommendations, I would say that the UC's you've chosen are definitely matches. But I also think it wouldn't hurt to apply to UCLA or Cal because your SAT scores (which they care a lot about) are pretty amazing, and you've shown a great deal of leadership in your EC's. However, the gpa is somewhat low, write a good essay and you should be fine.</p>

<p>For liberal arts, I'm not entirely familiar with those liberals. But I think, again, if you write a good essay, they should definitely admit you.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Yes, agreed. Apply to the higher tier UC's, because you have a decent shot. Especially with those SAT scores.</p>

<p>I appreciate the vote of confidence, but the reason I don't plan on applying to Cal or UCLA is because I really just don't want to GO there. UCLA is way too close to home and Berkeley is not the right scene for me. I would love to go to UCSD, though, which is almost as selective. </p>

<p>From experience, do UCs weight GPA or SATs more heavily?</p>

<p>Anyone? Thanks again.</p>

<p>Hmmmm, I believe they weight the GPA heavier.</p>

<p>You're probably good for Irvine, UCSC, UCSB, and Reed. The others might be reaches, but I don't know anything about Villanova.
UCs definitely weight GPA over SATs.</p>