Chances of getting into Stanford or UPenn (wharton) early decision

<p>What are my chances if getting into stanford or UPenns Wharton early decision? </p>

<p>I'm Asian, my ACT score is a 34.
SAT II- bio-740, math 2- 770. I'm ranked 8 out of a class of 600. </p>

<p>I made all state piano 2 years. I've played piano for 12 years. And was also invited to play in Washington DC ( I'm from Texas) I've also played violin for 8 years and made the region orchestra many times. Also part of the lone star youth orchestra. Played JV tennis for 2 years. </p>

<p>On the math, science, social studies, and current events UIL academic teams. Also on ac dec team.</p>

<p>President and founder of the Asuan Club for 3 years. The club has grown to be one if the biggest in the school.
Vice president of key club and I've organized many service projects. I'm in NHS, Spanish NHS, Mu Alpha Theta, and Spanish Club. I have over 350 hours of community service.</p>

<p>I don't mean this in a derogatory way, I promise; but you come across as being that typical 'Asian' candidate with high scores/grades, plays violin/piano, and is heavily 'lopsided' towards math and science. Competition among Asians of that sort is very cutthroat, and Stanford and Penn get plenty of them every year. You're going to need to find a way to stick out. As of now, your best shot is probably through your essays. Find an unconventional topic and make it very personal and unique; reveal something about yourself in the essay(s). That should help substantially.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, you have an average shot. The odds are against you, but acceptance is a possibility. Apply to both, but don't expect to be admitted. If you get in, great, but if you get your hopes up and get rejected, it'll sting pretty badly. There's plenty of top40 schools that would love to have you, so apply to a good number (8-10 is ample) and you'll be fine.</p>

<p>Good luck! :D</p>

<p>I think your involvement in the Spanish Club might help a bit, if you're fluent in another Asian language. That is to say, it would detract from the stereotype... </p>

<p>However, I'm more confused as to what an Asuan club is.</p>

<p>Sorry...I meant Asian Club. Oh and I've also worked in Taiwan before for 2 months. I'm fluent in mandarin. And I have relatives that both work and are alumni of stanford. Idk if that helps</p>

<p>
[quote]
And I have relatives that both work and are alumni of stanford. Idk if that helps

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Do they currently work at Stanford? If yes, that could help if they know people within the admissions committee. Otherwise, it probably won't make a difference.</p>

<p>Have they made sizeable donations to Stanford? That could help too... :)</p>

<p>It's cool that you worked in Taiwan and are fluent in Mandarin; it shows you truly have immersed yourself in your heritage. But many, many Asians are also 'immersed in their heritage', so it won't give you a unique edge.</p>

<p>Well, if the relatives are your parents, then I guess you would have a legacy card but I don't know how much that affects Stanford admissions. I always thought they favored first-gen students, but that might just be my exposure to all two Stanford attendees I know (both always got Gates Millenium scholarships and were first-gen). </p>

<p>If you're fluent in Spanish as well, then I think that might make you stand out a bit. I mean, Mandarin, English and Spanish and you can probably talk to the majority of the world.</p>

<p>Definitely watch out for typos in your app. :P</p>

<p>Haha I will. Well I'm not completely fluent in Spanish. And my uncle went to Stanford..so I guess it wouldn't make much of a difference. So do you guys have any idea as to which one I would have a better shot of getting into with early decision/action?</p>

<p>I'm not sure anyone can give you a good attempt at an answer just yet, without your w, uw GPA.</p>

<p>My weighted gpa is a 3.96 and my weighted is a 4.7 out of 5</p>

<p>I meant unweighted is 3.96</p>

<p>upenn- high match
stanford- crapshoot but probably low reach</p>

<p>
[quote]
So do you guys have any idea as to which one I would have a better shot of getting into with early decision/action?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Penn is your best shot. But which one do you want to attend most? That's the more important question. :)</p>

<p>I agree, Penn is your best shot, but isn't it also ED which means financial aid would have to be unnecessary, or a sure bet? On the other hand, Stanford is SCEA...</p>

<p>Well Stanford is my true number one choice but I've heard of known so many people more qualified than me get rejected but they all did regular decision. So I was thinking I might apply to UPenn ED since it was my second choice but I'm not sure yet</p>

<p>I would apply to Penn ED. Since you have a better shot at Penn than Stanford, I would take my "one early shot" with them.</p>

<p>Well if I get into UPenn ED then I'm obligated to go there. But for Stanford it's non binding right?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Well if I get into UPenn ED then I'm obligated to go there. But for Stanford it's non binding right?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>That's correct.</p>

<p>At this point, you need to ask yourself: do I like one school significantly more than the other? Because if you're in love with Stanford but only like Penn, Penn ED is a bad idea. But if you like both schools equally, I think it would be wise to do Penn ED since it's your best shot at being admitted.</p>

<p>If Stanford is your first choice, you can take either route (RD or EA). But Stanford EA will not give you an advantage and will be slightly harder to get admitted to over Stanford RD because many of the best applicants to Stanford apply EA.</p>

<p>Also, binding is an issue. Are you comfortable being 'bound' to Penn if accepted? If you get in, college apps are done for you, and you'll be expected to enroll at Penn for the following fall. So keep that in mind.</p>

<p>It's alot to think about. They're both great schools, and you'd probably love either one; if you truly love Stanford, do Stanford EA. But if you don't prefer one over the other alot, I think Penn ED is your best bet of getting the thick envelope in the mail. :)</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Wait....is there no advantage in doing EA to Stanford?</p>

<p>And do you know what my chances to getting into other schools such as duke or Columbia might be?</p>

<p>If Stanford is your true, unequivocal first choice, then don't apply ED anywhere. If you were accepted ED to Penn, or Columbia, or Duke, or anywhere else, you would always wonder whether you might have been accepted to Stanford.</p>