U of Chicago</p>

<p>Match:
USC
Occidental College or Pitzer College (still deciding)</p>

<p>Safety:
UNLV
UNR</p>

<p>Price of Application Fees: $480</p>

<p>Do you think this is a good list of colleges for me to apply to? I'm not sure if I want to apply to U of Chicago. I feel like it may be a waste of money since the chance of being admitted is so low.</p>

<p>Here are my stats if they help:</p>

<p>Biology or undecided major
music minor
first generation college student</p>

<p>Unweighted GPA- 4.0
Weighted GPA- 4.75
Rank- 5 out of about 408</p>

<p>SAT- 2190 (superscore)
CR- 700
Math- 760
W- 730
essay-11</p>

<p>SAT II
Math II- 760
Biology- 730</p>

<p>AP
World History (5)
U.S. History (5)
English Language (4)</p>

<p>AP classes I am taking this year
Calculus AB
U.S. Government
English Literature</p>

<p>EC
National Honor Society, committee chair (10, 11,12)
City-wide Youth Orchestra, after school orchestra program, section leader (11,12)
Evolvement, student organization to educate public about tobacco use (12)</p>

<p>Volunteer
Math tutoring
Library</p>

<p>Awards/Achievements
Student of the month, engineering (9)
Student of the month, music (11)
Solo Ensemble Competition for Violin, Superior rating (10,11)
Section leader of school orchestra (10,11,12)
Honor Orchestra (10, 11,12)
All State Orchestra (11)
National History Day, 1st place State (11)
Violin (12 years)</p>

<p>How certain are you of admission at UNLV and UNR? Can you afford them? If not, you need an institution that is both academically and financially safe.</p>

<p>Can your family afford all of the application fees? If not, ask your guidance counselor about applying for waivers.</p>

<p>I am a Nevada resident, already accepted to UNR. I still need to apply to UNLV, but I am pretty certain I will be accepted. From what most of my teachers tell me, I have a good chance of receiving a full ride with my SATs, GPA, and even money from my violin playing. There is also the Millennium Scholarship available. So UNR and UNLV are definitely safeties for me. </p>

<p>My parents can afford it, but would prefer not having to pay as much because $500 on application fees seems like a lot when admission is not guaranteed. I am not eligible for fee waivers anymore because my dad just got a part time job.</p>

<p>Do you think I should apply to U of Chicago? I'm not sure if I should just apply to two reach schools instead of three.</p>

<p>Have you looked on the Chicago forum at the accepted/ rejected Chicago's stats of students that just received their EA results? That may give you a better idea of whether you should apply there.</p>

<p>Yes I have. Everytime I look at it, my SATs seem too low, my ECs are limited, and my only hook is that I am first generation. I feel like that when I go on the Stanford and Pomona admit threads too.</p>

<p>Stanford is considerably harder to get into than Cicago, if you want to drop one, I'd drop Stanford. You probably don't have the ECs for Stanford, but Chicago is know to be more likely to overlook that if you can produce a compelling essay.</p>

<p>Yes I have. Everytime I look at it, my SATs seem too low, my ECs are limited, and my only hook is that I am first generation. I feel like that when I go on the Stanford and Pomona admit threads too. </p>

<p>Then there's your answer- given that Stanford rejects 90% of all applicants, and your stats just do not put you in the running for any of those 3, I suggest you either find some easier "reaches" or just relax and have a great Xmas break.</p>

<p>Don't give up your dreams of your reach schools --if you don't apply you'll never know. Your test scores are fine, and great GPA. RE: Chicago, bear in mind that EA accepts the strongest applicants, because they can. Also, you note you are a first generation college student, which holds some weight. If you can swing it, apply to all 3 -- you'll always wonder otherwise. Good luck to you!</p>

<p>Since you already have been accepted to UNR, if you're happy with going there as your safety school and prefer it to UNLV (that includes financially), save yourself some time and money and don't apply to UNLV.
Another question to ask yourself about your reaches (if you want to narrow them down) is "If I'm accepted here, would I want to attend?". Sometimes that aspect gets pushed off to the side when in reality it's the most important! Good luck!</p>

<p>Yeah, I still want to apply to 1-2 reach schools cause you never know what could happen.
I might not apply to U Chicago anymore, because initially it was my teacher who recommended that school to me, but I'm not too sure if I want to go all the way to Chicago.</p>