College Matching for me

<p>I plan on applying to Pomona, Stanford, and USC. I realize that all three schools have low admittance rate, so I wanted to find some other college matches for me (I prefer staying in the West/California). I already have two safeties, UNR and UNLV (Nevada resident). Thanks!</p>

<p>Biology or undecided major
music minor
first generation college student</p>

<p>Unweighted GPA- 4.0
Weighted GPA- 4.75
Rank- 5 out of about 408</p>

<p>SAT- 2190 (superscore)
CR- 700
Math- 760
W- 730
essay-11</p>

<p>SAT II (took on Dec.3)
Math II
Biology</p>

<p>AP
World History (5)
U.S. History (5)
English Language (4)</p>

<p>AP classes I am taking this year
Calculus AB
U.S. Government
English Literature</p>

<p>EC
National Honor Society, committee chair (10, 11,12)
{City} Youth Orchestra, after school orchestra program, section leader (11,12)
Evolvement, student organization to educate public about tobacco use (12)</p>

<p>Volunteer
Math tutoring
Library</p>

<p>Awards/Achievements
Student of the month, engineering (9)
Student of the month, music (11)
Solo Ensemble Competition for Violin, Superior rating (10,11)
Section leader of school orchestra (10,11,12)
Honor Orchestra (10, 11,12)
All State Orchestra (11)
National History Day, 1st place State (11)
Violin (12 years)</p>

<p>What can your family afford?</p>

<p>my family income is $60,000-$65,000 for a family of four.
the max my family can afford is probably around $15,000-$20,000 per year, but I would prefer to only have to pay about $10,000-$15,000 per year.</p>

<p>If you like Pomona and the small LAC atmosphere, consider Occidental, Pitzer and Claremont McKenna. All are in the LA area and good schools. They may be very generous with aid because of their smaller size and most have relatively big endowments.</p>

<p>Any chance you are NMSF?</p>

<p>Thanks for the recommendations. I did take a look at the colleges you suggested. Do you know much about Occidental? And isn't Claremont McKenna as competitive as Pomona, do you think I have a good chance of being admitted there? And I was considering applying to Pitzer as well.</p>

<p>And no, I am not a NMSF, I didn't do as well because I didn't study for the PSAT.</p>

<p>Pepperdine would be a match for you.</p>

<p>I initially didn't even take a look at Pepperdine because I'm not religious, but after doing some research, the school is not as religious as I thought. I might consider it now. Thanks!</p>

<p>Also, I am open to colleges from other states as well, I just prefer it being in the West, closer to home. Thank you so much.</p>

<p>Oops, you're right about CMC. I was looking at an older statistic when I looked at it. So probably not a sure match, but maybe a match/reach school.
But some more info about Occidental I found in a quick search on my FAVORITE college research website. (google and you'll find it) College Prowl-er. Seriously please check it out.
About Oxy:
Acceptance Rate:42 %
Admission Difficulty:Average
Average SAT Scores:1800–2070
In LA
App Deadline: Jan. 10
Full time Undergrads: 1,954
It's really pretty. I don't know what else you want in a college, but it has both music and biology majors!</p>

<p>Okay, I think I will apply then, I might have a better chance there. And thanks for the website as well. </p>

<p>Now I'm not sure if I should apply to Pitzer or Occidental, I will do some more research. Thanks!</p>

<p>Have you checked the schools on the WICHE exchange? Nevada is a participating state. Western</a> Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) | Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education</p>

<p>Yes, I have looked through the list before. Do you know which universities on the WICHE are good schools? I have only selectively picked some to research about.</p>