Did my dream of going to a decent college just go down the drain?

<p>I’m currently a sophomore in high school, about to be a junior in the fall. In my freshman year, I took as many honors classes as I could and I got a 4.0 both semesters. But this year has been shaky due to personal problem (not important to this discussion), so now my final GPA, I’ve estimated, is a 3.17 (three As, one Bs, and two Cs). The C (a 79.7%! UGH.) was in an AP class (World History), the second C was in a science (non-AP, but considered the toughest science class [Marine Biology]). The one B is in Honors Algebra 2. While the As are in Japanese 3, Honors LA, and Guitar (yeah, I know > >). </p>

<p>As for ECs, I’ve been doing Chinese afterschool for two years, I took a leadership class every Friday Freshman year and for the first semester of this year, I’m was on JV Tennis team this year, and I volunteered helping children who couldn’t read at grade level two days a week this year and last. I’m in my school’s Key Club and National Honor Roll Society (I’m not on the National Honor Roll though, so yeah). I don’t know if it counts for anything, but I go to church every Sunday and do a lot of volunteering (un-documented though) there. I don’t know if this counts for anything either but I can speak more than one language (I have my native tongue and English, plus the languages I’m learning).</p>

<p>I feel really bad about the two Cs this year, and I feel they’re going to come back and bite me in the future. I’m not aiming for Yale or Harvard (not really my cup of tea) but I’d like to go to a creditable school that employers would know of, like the University of Washington or University of Michigan (I know I don't have test scores but recommendations on colleges that suit my stats could help see hwat my options are). </p>

<p>I plan to take three APs, an honor class, Chemistry and an elective next year, and do well in them (the only B I can think of would be in Chem). Even with my plan to do well junior and senior year, have I ruined my chances at creditable, well-known schools because of this year?</p>

<p>Sorry for the long read. :) You can tell I’m panicking, right?</p>

<p>PS: I NEVER in my life want to use this to my advantage, but I am African-American and it, regardless if I want it to or not, will make colleges look at my app differently. :\ Just thought I’d let you know since you guys are helping.</p>

<p>PPS: I'm aiming to be a Ph.D Pharmacist.</p>

<p>PPPS: Okay, yeah, this is getting annoying but I'm already studying for ACT/SATs and planning to take one or the other (if I have to multiple times) during Junior year.</p>

<p>No, you have not ruined your chances of going to a creditable, well-regarded college or university. You still have half your high school career before you. Keep working hard and following your interests, and you will be fine.</p>

<p>Thank you for that. :) I'm sorry if it seemed a bit ridiculous but I'm very worried about it, haha.</p>

<p>To compensate for low grades, you can take Subject Tests/AP Exams in corresponding areas.</p>

<p>Also, if you feel it necessary to improve your GPA, retake one of your "C" classes on-line over the summer. At my son's school, students can take classes on-line, and although it will show that he originally received a lower grade, the new grade is the one that counts towards his GPA. Also, this shows the adcoms that you took the initiative to try to improve yourself.</p>

<p>You mentioned UW. I got into UW this past April with a 3.69 (weighted) GPA. My SAT was average. My sophomore year was a little rocky, I think I got a 3.5 or so. I picked it up my junior year though. I didn't take any AP's junior year, but I did take Honors English (got an A), CP Chem (got an A), and Math Analysis (got a B). If you do really well your junior year and have a pretty good course load for your senior year, you should be okay. Now if you're applying for the honors program or a biochem major, you may have a tough time getting into those for UW. Good luck though! UW is a beautiful school.</p>

<p>University of Michigan is difficult to get into.</p>

<p>A few C's will not ruin your college chances!</p>

<p>1) Schools like to see improvement - if you do better next year/senior year, it'll look good.
2) A 3.17 one year still sets you up to get a 3.6-3.8 by the end of senior year. If you look at most non-Ivy/Ivy-level colleges, that's well into the mid range. You're certainly on track to get into some high level schools.
3) Being an under-represented minority is a huge advantage at some schools. </p>

<p>PS- I think you go to my school. o.O</p>