Do I have what it takes to be a Wolverine?

<p>Hey everyone.
I'm a rising Senior currently infatuated with college admissions. I'm nervous about applying and I really want to get a good idea of where I have a shot at.
I am applying to the following schools (in order of preference)
UMich, NYU Stern, Emory/Georgetown, UNC.
I'm also applying to Cornell (its a LOOONG shot, but its my dream school - I'll never know if I could get in if I don't apply ;))</p>

<p>I am a North Carolina resident.
I am a minority.
I WILL be applying for financial aid.
I attended a small charter school my freshman year and then transferred into a public school for my sophomore year.
SAT I: 1960 (CR:640, M:650, W:660)
SAT II: Have not taken, plan on taking two in October.
ACT: Have not taken, currently am not planning to take.</p>

<p>GPA: I do not know my exact GPA, but I do have a good record of my grades and the classes I have taken so far:
FRESHMAN YEAR
-Honors Geometry:A
-Honors Earth Environmental Science: A
-Honors World History: A
-Honors English I: B (I know, pathetic. I didn't take the class seriously and I obviously deserved the low grade which I received)
-Spanish I: A
-Health/PE: A
-Freshman Seminar: A</p>

<p>SOPHOMORE YEAR
-Sports Medicine I: A
-Marketing: A
-Honors English II: A
-Honors Civics and Economics: A
-Honors Algebra II: A
-Honors Biology: A
-Spanish II: A
-Honors Engineering and Design: A</p>

<p>JUNIOR YEAR
-Honors US History: A
-AP US History: A (At my school, to take APUSH, you have to take Honors US as well)
-AP Government: A
-AP English III: A
-Marketing Advance Studies: A
-Honors Chemistry: B
-Honors Spanish III: A
-Honors Pre-Calculus: A</p>

<p>and the following is my schedule for my Senior Year:
-AP Calculus AB
-AP Earth Science
-AP Psychology
-AP English IV
-AP Spanish V (My teacher suggested I skip Spanish Four, I dont know if that would look good in an application or not)
-Honors Physics
-Honors Strategic Marketing
-Visual Arts I (Required to become a Charlotte Mecklenburg School System Honors Graduate)</p>

<p>I'm pretty content with my ECs.
Freshman year: Swimming, Math Club, Environmental Club, and FOGANA (a South Asian cultural competitive club which I competed in at National level and placed third)</p>

<p>Sophomore year: I transferred out of charter school and into a public school so I had the opportunity to join more clubs - Interact, Multicultural Society, Spanish Club, and DECA. I placed fourth in Technical Sales at State level with DECA.</p>

<p>Junior Year: Junior year is where my leadership came out. I was elected as President of my schools DECA Chapter and I helped increase membership from 130 members to 218 members, making our schools chapter the second largest in the state. I placed 1st in International Business at State Level, 2nd in Technical Sales and Top Test Score for Tech Sales at State Level, and was elected as one of NC DECA's six state officers chosen to represent almost 40,000 marketing students in the state. I also placed Fifth at International competition for my International Business plan. During my junior year I also stayed involved with Multicultural Society and Interact and also joined NHS, NSHS, and Key Club. I also got an internship at Fox News Charlotte and I attended Project Uplift, a summer program for rising seniors and prospective students held at UNC Chapel Hill.</p>

<p>I also have 200+ community service hours through FOGANA, DECA, and volunteering with a local childrens library.</p>

<p>......bump.</p>

<p>I made a mistake in my school priorities - it should be:
UMich, Emory,Georgetown, NYU, UNC.</p>

<p>NYU is more of a dream school as well; I am aware that I will never be able to receive enough financial aid to attend the school seeing that I do not plan on taking out extravagant loans just to attend NYU. The same is for Georgetown.</p>

<p>And UNC, although a fantastic school, its a little too close to home.</p>

<p>ALSO my class rank is 19/480, however, it should have improved since final grades for junior year just went in.
I also served as a Junior Marshall this past year.</p>

<p>.....bump?</p>

<p>I think you have a really good chance at NYU (not sure whether you'd get a good amount of FA though...or any) and UNC (you'd probably get some really good FA). I think Emory and Georgetown would be stretches, but UMich would by just a little reach.</p>

<p>If you want you be more competitive at the schools (and get more FA out of them as well - mainly for NYU) you should think about retaking the SAT. Anything above 2000 would get you some good FA at NYU. :)</p>

<p>I think you have a very good shot at all schools you listed, UNC especially since your in-state, if you could bring up your sat by a small amount (maybe 50-100 points), you would probably be a match for G-town and Cornell also, if you are really serious about cornell, applying ED there could give you a great chance.</p>

<p>Thanks guys!
I do plan on retaking the SAT in October/November; all depends on if I decide to apply to Georgetown early action (if so, I'll be taking the SAT II's first because I know they require them).
The big thing that confuses me is geographics when it comes to admissions.
For example, I have two friends who both applied to Georgetown and Cornell (and are both minorities).
One lives in Pennsylvania, attended a very competitive high school and was ranked 2nd (there were 17 people tied for rank 1), took 6 AP's both her Junior and Senior year, only had one B on her transcript, received only 4's and higher on her AP exams for her Junior year, was a Varsity athlete, extremely active in a select few EC's and had an ample amount of community service.
The other lives in NC and attended the same high school as me. She got a 1960 cumulative, had two B's on her record, and in total took 8 AP's. She wasn't involved in any sports and didn't show any particular passion in her extra curriculars, although she was involved in quite a number of them. </p>

<p>My friend in Pennsylvania was deferred by Cornell and rejected by Georgetown. My NC friend was accepted by both and will be attending Cornell in the fall.</p>

<p>Even though my friend who will be attending Cornell is an outstanding student, I feel like my friend in Pennsylvania was a more qualified applicant for both schools.
How much does geographics come into play for admissions, especially for the schools that I have applied to?</p>

<p>.. ..bump.</p>

<p>Geography wouldnt do that much, most likely something in their essay and extracurriculars (or lack thereof)</p>

<p>^^^ That story just proves how unpredictable the entire admissions cycle can be. :)</p>

<p>Ah I see, makes sense. God, I wish admissions for schools like Georgetown and Cornell followed more of a formula for what type of applicant they are looking for. Whats the point of kicking your ass in high school, taking as many hard classes as you can, when you end up getting rejected from schools that you though you were well qualified for?!</p>

<p>.........bump!</p>

<p>lol NO because you added your sat score up wrong.... 640+650+660= 1950 :D</p>

<p>I know it was a 1950 from the beginning, I just made a typo on my first post. I swear xD</p>

<p>Yes for Umich-over a 100 kids from my MI school go there each year and you are academically stronger than most. I could see you getting into an Ivy League school with that few Bs and all of your APs.. the only thinng is I am not fsmilliar with SAT scores. </p>

<p>BTW--UMich is awesome, and Ann Arbor is great. Its a great school although expensive for out of state.</p>

<p>I think you would definitely be competitive at UMich as long as you take the essays seriously. (I just copied and pasted an off topic essay from my common app and got waitlisted with a 2340 haha)</p>

<p>If you apply early to Michigan you should get in with your GPA.</p>

<p>you stated that you are a minority, but if you're south asian (you mentioned you participated in a cultural club?), keep in mind that it actually somewhat hurts your chances, not helps.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.</p>

<p>@boxosfan1717 - However, at my school, I'm a pretty extreme minority - I'm the ONLY Indian male student in my grade in a class of approx 500.</p>