Downloading MP3s, movies, and software: A BAD IDEA

<p>Our generation has somewhat latched onto the idea that downloading stuff off the Internet is just a sorta wondrous pool of free stuff. No strings. Nothing to worry about.</p>

<p>Think again.</p>

<p>I'm currently interested in working for a number of federal agencies dealing with security and intelligence. And guess what? The fact that I've downloaded stuff hurts me. A lot.</p>

<p>"But everyone does!" That may be the case. In fact, you may not know a singe person who hasn't. But think about VOLUME. Think about the value of the software you download. These questions will come up during application periods for many agencies.</p>

<p>"I'll just lie and say no." 1. Bad idea. 2. Bad idea. 3. Not only can the agencies just research you, they can subject you to a polygraph. Yes, I know that the polygraph is an awful measurement. It's actually very inaccurate. But it does work well enough to catch people who try to make OBVIOUS untrue statements. Either way, it may hurt.</p>

<p>And what if you do get caught? Then you may have a conviction on your record that may show many companies that you're not worth hiring. </p>

<p>I'm not trying to get into the morality of downloading illegally. I'm just trying to tell you that it can affect you in the long term. Feel free to ignore me. Most everyone will and probably should. But don't pretend that it is without consequence.</p>

<p>note to self: don't apply to any of those "agencies"...</p>

<p>VTECaddict,</p>

<p>"Those agencies" means "pretty much most of them that have any clearance."</p>

<p>i never downloaded anything illegaly........... yaya for me since i want to work in the cia.</p>

<p>can they really track your past records just like that?!</p>

<p>our government is scary</p>

<p>and the agencies are probably monitoring this thread right now</p>

<p>No, they can't track you.</p>

<p>But are you going to lie on your application? If they ask you? When you are taking a polygraph?</p>

<p>Malishka,</p>

<p>Then why do you NEED an econ major? :confused:</p>

<p>I'm just really confused why you said that without econ you're going to be screwed?</p>

<p>whbat agency are you aiming for?</p>

<p>A bunch. I'd rather not specifiy. But let's just say that I'll need clearances. Even for internships.</p>

<p>maybe beacuse i want to be an economic analyst ? </p>

<p>i am really indesicive.</p>

<p>Consider getting your MA, then.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Minimum requirements include a master's degree in economics or finance with an international or foreign area focus, business administration, international management, economic crimes management or a related area, with a strong concentration on international finance, banking or international business. Undergraduate candidates with a strong macroeconomic background, excellent financial analysis skills, excellent analytical skills, foreign area expertise and language abilities will also be considered. A GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale is required.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I'd say that the last sentence doesn't really help much. It sounds to me, based on my knowledge of federalese, that they really want MAs.</p>

<p>Consider getting an MA in IR/IE.</p>

<p>for an MA i need a ba first.</p>

<p>Lies. Pure lies!</p>

<p>You're right, you do.</p>

<p>But I can assure you of one thing: don't just be an expert in ONE area. They want multi-talented, multi-faceted people. Take a language course maybe. Or study some international affairs. Or maybe take some finance/accounting.</p>

<p>The more skills you bring to the table, the better.</p>

<p>i am fluent in a foregin language.</p>

<p>Are you fluent in a foreign language that the agency wants? ;)</p>

<p>Trust me: LEARN ARABIC. Or Chinese.</p>

<p>Japanese hasn't helped me one bit. Nor has Spanish. Sigh.</p>

<p>yes i am fluent in a language they want.</p>

<p>OMG you have the same birthday as me.</p>

<p>So anyone who wants a job gets an interview and a trip to the polygraph? Does this sound a little fishy to anyone else?</p>

<p>i've talked to people from the agency...ANY foreign language is liked, but if you want to be a shoe-in learn arabic, urdu, pashtu, a native american language, chinese, korean, persian, etc. It's not that they'll deny you because you know common languages, but if they hire you then you might have to take foreign language classes there. </p>

<p>Since you're obviously applying for an analytical position, foreign language skills are less focused on anyway.</p>

<p>vicissitudes,</p>

<p>Almost ANY civilian agency requiring a clearance will require you to take a polygraph.</p>

<p>Even police agencies are included.</p>